Did you learn how to debate in school (or elsewhere)?

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

Last night I was taking another look at the term "dialectics":

The art of investigating or discussing the truth of opinions: discussion; debate; logical reasoning; etc.

The dialectical method is, at base, a discourse between two or more people holding different points of view about a subject but wishing to establish the truth through reasoned arguments.

While I intend to do further research on my own, what is your own experience regarding preparation for debate, the do's and don'ts, maintaining your cool, . . . ?

I ask, in part, because I observe that some online debaters present facts and figures and use sound reasoning while maintaining their decorum; many do not.

Thank you.

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

I remember learning the rudiments of debating, but we were out of school so much (sharecropping) that I never got to participate in an actual debate.

One thing I DO recall is that the instructor was a stickler for good manners and proper decorum.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I took some debating classes in Jr. High School. This course is excellent in learning to hone your skills and teaching yourself to reach logical conclusions. I have it in my personal library and highly recommend it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Tara and sparky!

Yes, effective reasoning.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I am no debater. I wouldn't know how to go about it. The only hint I have is Matt Dillahunty, 'That's it. You're done!' Hangs up on caller.

Some debaters, I notice change their stance because their only objective is to 'win' a debate.

William Lane Craig debates without much substance. He just uses big words and long convoluted sentences to obfuscate and confuse rather than offer honest, understandable statements.

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

Ah, yes, the Gish Gallop.

• humbled
    humbled

You have introduced the nitro and the glycerin, Coco. There is discussion and there is debate. Let’s see how it shakes out.

Your thread is inviting discussion that invites subjective comment. It will be interesting to see if it gets diverted into caustic debate.

You are inviting others to respectfully probe a topic that defies the use of facts and figures—unless by some means we were able to establish (for instance) the number of posters who abandon discussions -or even this forum -not on account of facts, figures and sound reasoning -but because of what you call a “lack of decorum” that renders discussions null and void of value.

Thank you, gentleman Coco. I will try to maintain a ladylike demeanor.

• compound complex
    compound complex

He just uses big words and long convoluted sentences to obfuscate and confuse rather than offer honest, understandable statements. -- punkofnice

Thanks, punk.

Relative to your great observation, I recently learned a new word that applies:

Grandiloquence: A lofty, extravagantly colorful, pompous, or bombastic style, manner, or quality especially in language.

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

LOL!

I salute you, Maeve.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I will try to maintain a ladylike demeanor. -- humbled

In my book, you are ever the quintessential lady!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit