Uplifting music

by El blanko 14 Replies latest jw friends

• El blanko
    El blanko

Hi there and good day to you all ...

I purchased an album yesterday which has just been released called Immortal Memory by Lisa Gerrard & Patrick Cassidy, it really is beautiful in places and has a certain uplifting meloncholy throughout. I know that sounds contradictory, but really, the first few tracks really tug at the heart strings.

If you need an aural and highly textured experience, this album is worth going for. It really helped lift my mood and is playing in the background as I work.

One track features the Lords prayer sung in Aramaic taken from the Peshitta version of the Holy Scriptures.

If you do not know who Lisa Gerrard is, she used to sing with a group called Dead Can Dance and is probably most noted for her vocal work in the film Gladiator.

Do you have any recommendations for other uplifting musical experiences?

• Navigator
    Navigator

Die Moldau by Smetana

Symphone #9 (The New World) by Dvorack(sp)

Those pieces always lift me up.

• Frantic
    Frantic

Uplifting music? Im mainly alternative/metal, so it would be hard to had out any recommedations for "uplifting" because our definitions may differ.

Uplifting has the reverse affect on me. For example, music that is considered depressing I would consider uplifting. However, if you are a fan of the movie "Shawshank Redemption", there is a part in the movie where Andy (Tim Robbins) hi-jacks the tower and plays some italian music, that was MOST uplifting. I dont know the song title though.

A song on the 9/11 crisis "When the Eagle Cries" by the band "Iced Earth"

• Frantic
    Frantic

"Godspeed you! black emperor" - a nine piece from Canada talking about the world ending (although they have no lead vocalist), mainly violin orientated, ambient sounding. All long pieces of music, 15 mins plus.

I find "The Messenger" by another canadian band :"The Tea Party" to be most uplifting

"Thirty-Three" by "The Smashing Pumpkins" to be more beautiful and heart felt.

loads more, but hey...

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm a dead can dance fan. Thanks for the heads up on gladiator. Vangelis, in some of their sea songs is uplifting, and a bit spacey. Stealy dan, do it again is also good for me. Santana black magic woman and singing winds crying beasts. The who happy jack.

SS

• El blanko
    El blanko

"Shawshank Redemption" - yep, the soundtrack overall is very good indeed.

I do like some Rock, but not the hard and contemporary variety. I am quite into a Babe Ruth track called "We People Darker Than Blue" at the moment and that is a superb cover of a Curtis Mayfield record, well worth checking out.

I did the whole "metal" thing about 17 years ago. My cousin tries in vain to get me into TOOL, which I can't listen to without a high degree of irritation. Too black for my tastes.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I listen to anything except Rap and modern country. What I like that you might relate to? How about Charlotte Church(spelling???), she does the vocal for the A Beautiful Mind music score. I think the Gladiator will be my next sound track that I buy.

My best friend just got done recording an album, it is being mixed and edited at this time. His songs are all a little different. One sounds like Nickleback, another like Jane's Addiction. I like the music he and his buddy are doing, I'd actually buy a copy.

I sometimes listen to trance/electronica when doing Tai Chi or meditating; that can get weird though.

• Frantic
    Frantic

I have all TOOL and A Perfect Circle records. Maynard (lead singer) has a dark vision. The music is very hard to listen to, great concentration is required. Those records are now gathering dust, still Maynard James Keenan is without doubt, in my mind, the best vocalist out there.

While on soundtracks, I like Vanilla Sky, Sigur Ros "Untitled 4" ....."Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel is uplifting

• El blanko
    El blanko
    How about Charlotte Church

I haven't got anything by the wee lassie - but yes, she does have a sweet voice. I do worry that she is being media driven though and was shaped initially by a female pop guru in the UK, who is a driving force behind the "pop industry" I believe.

Perfect Circle

Yes, two of my friends went to see that band last Monday and reported that the gig was quite interesting. My one friend is 54 and he found it all rather oppressive, but we did warn him!

Did you know that Tool actually practise various occult rituals and believe in summoning spirits ???

• Frantic
    Frantic

Yes I have heard of that and this: http://www.innuendocornecopria.com/LACH.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit