Torn between worlds - How do you manage to co-exist?

by truthseeker 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

On a lighter note, how about some tips to make the time go faster? I play mental games, do my own attendance figures, write a novelette in my head.... I mean, the pattern of service is so predictable, there is no reason to "be there" mentally.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

truthseeker, I thought you were already out. Hmm....maybe it was different truthseeker.

For my personality, I had to be either completely in or completely out. So I never had a pleasure of double life. The most difficult part was when I slowly realizing that I had to get out of there, which I should have done a long time ago.

It was easier for me because I already had friends and families who are not jws. Truthseeker, find new friends. Little by little build a new life. If your friends and family are going to abandon you, they will do it sooner or later. Don't expect them to understand. All they are going to do is to hurt you. You are welcome here and we all be your friends. You can email me anytime.

Good luck. And keep your chin up.

sunshineToo

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I imagine this visualization of a jdub eagerly anticipating the "proper food at the proper time" could help....

Frannie B

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

My grandfather once said to me, "Son, you don't cut off a puppy dog?s tail little at a time. You cut it all off at once." A strange little expression which has helped me at times in many aspects of life, where I have been tempted to unnecessarily drag out the inevitable conclusion.

To have inner peace I think you?re going to have to make the decision to leave both physically and mentally. Anything else is only going to server to frustrate you further. The one thing I hear people exclaim once they make the complete leap out of the Watchtower Society is the freedom they feel!

Maybe its time for you to "cut it all off at once?"

Steve

• buddhatarian
    buddhatarian

Hi Y'all,

The fact that I'm even interested in these websites shows I must still have a little connection to the Witnesses. I think I have an ironic story; I was out early one morning doing park witnessing when I met my current boyfriend. That was 7 years ago...I was getting a divorce because my husband was unfaithful, and I had started questioning the Truth at that time. This guy was really into critical analysis of the scriptures( I mean that in the scholarly sense of critical). I decided to really start reading the Bible carefully to refute the things this guy was saying. Alas, I studied myself right out of the Truth! When I actually sat down and began to *read* the Bible, I could see the elements of mythology, the inconsistencies, etc.

It took me a good 3 years to actually leave the Witnesses though, for the same reason many of you site; all my friends were there. So I had a boyfriend no one knew about,that I had met out in service!, and still gave talks (sister talks) and went out in service and all. I finally had to go though. I always have felt grateful to the Witnesses because I was 17 when I got baptized and had no family in the Truth til I got married, so I think they protected me from a lot of the bad things kids get involved in. But eventually you have to become an adult and make decisions for yourself. Leaving the witnesses is like leaving your parents' home.

Now I attend the Unitarian church,though I practice Buddhism (hence the name). I love the freedom of intellectual discussion we can have there! When you finally leave, its like the whole world opens at your feet. I hope you fly and don't just fall off the cliff. so many ex witnesses seem to turn to destructive behavior because they are so excited by the freedom.. Please use your head and remember that you can still be a moral, spiritual person all on your own, without Jehovah looking over your shoulder telling you what to do.

be bold!

• wednesday
    wednesday

on the light side, Mulan once told us about a game they played to stay sane at the KH. It is called Bullsh*t Bingo. I tried to find it in the search, but couldn't. the gist is u make out a bingo board with all the (tm) trade mark JWS words, u know, all those things we hear. Then u listen for them at the meeeting. Someone help me find that post, it is too funy.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

What an awesome position you're in! If I could do things over again, I would do everything in my power to take my entire family and close friends out with me before I completely cut ties. We didn't have the internet eighteen years ago. It was tough going for a long time. Please realize you're not alone now. You have others who care deeply for you. That's why so many of us are here....to come alongside you. We know the angst you're experiencing. By the way, there's a new website here in Columbus I highly recommend - Towerwatch.com - Everyone might want to take a look.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit