Yoga: The Watchtower's View

by Disheartened 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yxl1
    yxl1
    I was pretty sore the next day though, is that o.k?

That'll be the debil entering you...

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    I don't know much about Tai Chi myself.

Hopefully, the WTS won't come out with anything about Tai Chi, but I do think it's possible. Do they allow other types of martial arts for JWs? I'm not really up to date on things like this. However, the little I do know about it is that Tai Chi is based both on the practice of Qigong and the various martial arts....in fact, it is the "martial arts" segment of Qigong, which has principles similar to Yoga.

My daughter has been attending a Tai Chi class, and she has found it very helpful for both exercise and relaxation without being strenuous.

• blondie
    blondie

RHW, none of the JWs I've every known realize that Tai Chi has anything to do with martial arts. I have had some argue with me about it back in my "active" days. If there is nothing in the publications, then it is okay according to JWs. I just avoid the words "martial arts." There is a world reknown teacher in this area and it is quite popular.

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/gentips/03/08taichi.html

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Be careful of the 'proud warrior' pose...that one encourages one to think too much of themselves!

• freein89
    freein89

Honestly those paranoid freaks just p#$$ me off. And another thing why don't they just make up their freaking minds, either the origin of a thing matters (yoga) or it doesn't ( pinatas) I must be in a mood today, cuz this just makes me so Damn Mad!!!!!!!

Deb

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Do they allow other types of martial arts for JWs?

No..............it's in the elder book. I researched in back in '95 for our youngest son and couldn't find anything against it, until Dave showed me the paragraph in the elder book. That was sneaky.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I love how they use pagan origins for everything

the best post that puts everything into perspective

is the post "Should JWS Own Cats"

Can you tell me the date of that article on Yoga

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

freein89 - Naw, you're not in a mood. It's absolutly ludicrous and down right assinine how far this f*cked up religion takes things.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    RHW, none of the JWs I've every known realize that Tai Chi has anything to do with martial arts.

Well, I'm glad that they are "allowed" to get the benefits of this practice. It just emphasizes, however, the total control that the WTS has over its adherents. The JWs say that they think for themselves, but this is a case in point that shows that they do nothing of the sort.

If they truly believed that Yoga was a practice that offended Jehovah, then they would take the initiative to check into any other similar practice to determine its "roots." However, all they do is wait for the WTS to come out with something about the subject. If the Society doesn't say anything about a specific practice then it is okay. If, however, the Society were to publish a QFR about Tai Chi tomorrow, almost every JW now attending a Tai Chi class would drop it, and you would see a bunch of Tai Chi instruction books being carted off to the dump...or even being burned because they were "demonistic."

Boggles the mind....it truly does.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Do they allow other types of martial arts for JWs?
    No..............it's in the elder book. I researched in back in '95 for our youngest son and couldn't find anything against it, until Dave showed me the paragraph in the elder book. That was sneaky.

Mulan - Yep! My parents allowed my brother and I to take Tae Kwon Do in middle school. It was the best thing they could have done for us! I remember we'd sneak to the dojo and change our clothes before leaving. What utter crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit