3 New Letters Arrived!--2019-December!

by Atlantis 18 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The Sunday "Public Talk" was just that - a talk designed for the non-JW public that JWs were supposed to invite to hear during their public ministry. I was born in and got our in my mid-thirties. In over three decades I could count the number of people who attended a Sunday meeting that met this scenario on one hand.

This is a letter of surrender. The "Public Talk" is no longer a public talk. Its just another talk that the rank and file have heard time and time again. Its just another opportunity to gather the flock to be guilted into being fleeced.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Note the instruction to review the qualified Public Speakers.... If they did that properly , precious few would pass examination to give what is now just a 30 minute talk.

Thanks Petra.... you do a stirling job!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Few things here...

Qualifications for Public Speakers: At a future elders’ meeting, the body of elders should review the list of public speakers in the congregation. Only qualified speakers who are approved by the body of elders should give public talks. (sfl chap. 20 par. 1) A qualified public speaker teaches effectively from the Scriptures, makes the practical value clear, and reaches the heart of his listen-ers. (Neh. 8:8; Luke 24:32) The body of elders may decide that an elder who cares for assignments on the midweek meeting does not qualify to give public talks. In some cases, an elder with limited abilities may be approved to give public talks in his congregation, but he would not qualify to be a visiting speaker. In such cases, he would modestly decline personal invitations to give talks in other congregations. The body of elders should use balance and good judgment as they prayerfully consider the abilities of each brother. All elders, including those who presently do not qualify for certain teaching privileges, should take the initiative to approach the auxiliary counselor and make good use of the Teaching brochure to improve their teaching skills.

So they've been appointing elders who have no teaching ability. Well, we all knew they were scraping the barrell due to no "young ones" reaching out anymore.

Used Circuit Vehicles: Vehicles previously used by circuit overseers will now be made available for sale via the WTResource.com website.

Are they that strapped for cash? Used car sales? Seriously? Sheesh.

These are not the signs of a religion that's doing well.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

If you want a used car go to your local dealer. Better condition and lower price from what i heard

Some elders are lousy speakers, alas, they were sometimes the more humane. Does this mean we will not have to endure a thick african accent? How about those ones who sound like tent revival preachers?

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

I new elders that could barely read.

• sir82
    sir82

I just looked at that "WTResource" website.

They're selling a (literally) 21 year old 4-cylinder Mitsubishi SUV for 2800 pounds, about $US 3600.

That seems awfully high for a car built last.....century.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Way over the top sir 82, I just looked at a small Mitsubishi 5 door saloon, so cheaper yes, but, low mileage full service history and made in 2915, asking price, £ 2,400.

I reckon some sucker JW's buy these overpriced cars thinking the Angels will keep 'em going !

As to Meeting Attendance, back in the early 2000s when I was still in about 30% would miss mid Week, and about 20% Weekend Meetings. Weekends we had loads of latecomers who would miss two thirds of the P.T anyway.

If it is now worse than that, even an amalgamated Congregation formed from two previously separate ones, must look empty !

• LV101
    LV101

Phizzy - "5 door saloon"? Lololol - I get it an X-cult wagon.

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

How times have changed.

When I was really young, about 12 years old, I had the job of preparing the the invitations for the public talk every week. I can't remember exactly how the job went but I think the title of the talk and the back of the tract where pre-printed by Bethel and I had a small printing kit (Jon Bull rubber print set) and I used to set up the address of the KH, and the date and time of the talk and then stamp hundreds of the things in a space on the front. In those days, I didn't even count my time for this rather soul-destroying task.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit