Cleaning Business Qualifies JW to be on Hospital Liaison Committee?

by blondie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Profile: Fred Colburn

Fred Colburn is owner and manager of Colburn Building Maintenance, which is located downtown. His business? motto is ?providing a clean, healthy, safe environment.?

HOW LONG HAS HE OWNED HIS OWN BUSINESS?
    Colburn started the company in 1986.
    HOW MANY BUSINESSES DOES HE PROVIDE SERVICES FOR?
    C.W. Powell is Colburn?s major client. ?Mr. Powell Sr. has properties all around Jacksonville and I provide the maintenance for them.? Colburn also has an account with the Jacksonville & the Beaches Convention and Visitors Bureau and several law firms.
    WHAT?S HIS FAVORITE BUILDING?
    His preference is the Morocco Shrine Building that houses Powell?s businesses. ?There?s a lot of history, and Laurel and Hardy performed there.?
    WHAT OTHER JOBS DID HE HAVE BEFORE STARTING HIS OWN BUSINESS?
    Colburn began working at 14, helping his father clean floors. Then he worked at Publix for about seven months. ?Publix taught me how to strip floors.? At age 17, he built walk-in freezes for Reeves Insulation. ?They thought I was 18 when I began working there, and when I got hit in the head with a brick, I couldn?t get workers compensation. Mr. Reeves had to pay out of his own pocket.? Colburn became associated with Powell when he worked to restore the tile in the Morocco Shrine Building. ?He was so impressed with how clean I got his tiles.?He is also involved with the Hospital Liaison Committee with the Jehovah?s Witnesses and he is one of seven elders in his local congregation.

WHAT MADE HIM WANT TO START HIS OWN BUSINESS?
    Colburn says his love of meeting new people inspired him to open his own business. ?I like to meet people and I like to be mobile. Being confined to one place would kill me.?
    HOW LONG HAS HE LIVED IN JACKSONVILLE?
    All of his life. He was born in Baptist Hospital, went to Sandalwood High School and has worked his entire adult life in the area.
    EDUCATION?
    He took advanced business courses in high school and a few refresher classes at Florida Community College at Jacksonville. ?I took just enough to get going.?
    FAMILY
    Colburn has been married to his wife, Virginia, for 19 years. She works at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. They have no children. ?I just try to be a good uncle.?
    IF HE COULD GO BACK AND CHOOSE ANY CAREER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
    ?If I had wealthy parents to put me through college, other than working as a missionary in a foreign land, I?d like to have been a doctor.? He said he would have been a surgeon. ?I?m not sure which body part.?
    HOBBIES
    Colburn started playing the banjo five months ago.WHAT ADVICE WOULD HE GIVE ANYONE WHO WANTED TO START THEIR OWN BUSINESS?
    ?You find out real fast in business that it is all about establishing relationships, especially in small businesses. Small businesses take care of each other.? Colburn specifically noted his colleague, Esa Hassan of E-Chem Solutions, Inc. ?He?s been very good to me.? Colburn would also give this advice: ?Loyalty is more important than saving a few dollars.?
    ? by Tammy Taylor

His wife works and they have no children, yet no mention of either one regular pioneering. Hmmmm?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It really is a joke isn't it

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

LOL I thought for a minute you pulled that form the "Onion"

Kinda sad he wanted to be a doctor.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

It is ridiculous, isn't it?

On the other hand, the Witnesses who start their own businesses are often intelligent people, who would have become skilled professionals if not for the Watchtower's position on higher education.

In the last congregation Meia and I went to, there's an elder who owns a cleaning business and is a regular pioneer. (Several other people in the congregation, including other elders, work for him.) He's a very intelligent and polished individual, and an excellent public speaker. I have no doubt that if he'd gone to college, he could have easily been an attorney or an executive.

Men who are that intelligent and capable can often get quite a bit of prominence among the JWs, and that tends to keep them in the organization, even once they begin to realize that it's not all it's cracked up to be.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

As you know, every Hospital Liason Committee must consist of one cleaner (preferably a contractor), one carpet layer (absolutely no tilers - grouters are acceptable), and one window washer. This ensures that every HLC has a wide variety of skill disciplines, and accurately represents a cross section of JW intellectual achievement.

• Xena
    Xena

He was "taught by God" blondie....who knows the human body better?

It is sad to hear he wanted to be a doctor, he probably fulfulls a bit of that fantasy by being on the committee...closest he will get, especially since they won't need doctors in the new system.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Not having anything to do with the hospital liaison committee, but I was in traffic the other day behind a large "New System Janitorial Service" truck and I thought, hmmmmmm. Do you think?

• Redneck
    Redneck
    Not having anything to do with the hospital liaison committee, but I was in traffic the other day behind a large "New System Janitorial Service" truck and I thought, hmmmmmm. Do you think?

LOL...reminds me of an elders business in my area...Paradise Heating and Air...who woulda knew...

• undercover
    undercover
    On the other hand, the Witnesses who start their own businesses are often intelligent people, who would have become skilled professionals if not for the Watchtower's position on higher education.

I have to agree with that. The JWs that I know, who own successful small business are actually very intelligent people. They usually have type A personalities and are very outgoing. If they keep up meeting attendance and service hours they usually become elders that are used on the liason committees, building committees, etc. If they had gone to college or had worked at growing their businesses instead of becoming JWs, many of them would be the movers and shakers of their communities.

• jws
    jws

There were a pair of brothers in one of my old halls that started a business called "Pioneer Cleaning". I think one of them did pioneer, but the other never did any such thing.

Oooh, the one liason guy I had to deal with made my blood boil. I don't know whether he knew anything about medicine, but he was content to tell the JWs exactly what to check on their blood/blood products/procedures consent form, even though the form had changed and the choices weren't numbered the same. In fact, I think they were reversed and my dad had the most objectionalable (to a JW) choices checked as OK and refused the milder ones like dialysis. After discovering there were two forms, and we needed a new one, we practically had to drag this idiot to the hospital on a Sunday night - my father going into surgery early the next morning. My dad almost had to have the dialysis, which he had previously refused on his old form. The idiot treated it without any concern. As if it didn't really matter that my dad checked the wrong boxes and needed a new form to fill out the "correct" ones. But, I did enjoy being able to tell off an elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit