Has anyone ever tried...

by SpiceItUp 10 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

an intervention?

You know like friends and families do with members who are addicted to drugs/alcohol etc.

I've always wondered if something like that would work.

any thoughts?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes -- and all I got was a mouthful of abuse to the effect - shut the f--k up and mind your own fu----g business, it is my life - since then I have never intervened

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yes. I tried it with my father in law last year. He was addicted to prescription medication (Xanax and Darvocet) and was an alcoholic. After his first suicide attempt, Nina and I sat him down for a "come to Jesus meeting". We talked tough and laid on the line for him.

Didn't work. He just started sneaking behind our backs and lying to us. Bottom line was, he didn't want to change.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

If the addicted aren't yet sick and tired of being sick and tired...it probably won't work.

The Sopranos showed an intervention with "Chris" for his heroin addiction...it was the most effective one I've ever seen.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Good points all.

I was referring to using an intervention with JW's who are family/friends etc. If you have enough people backing you up would you try it.

Its different when its a physical addiction then it usually only works if the person really wants to change.

I have heard of "interventions" with people in cults but don't know how successful they are.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Yes, one that seceded in helping a young pregnant run-away girl get her life straight. An one that did not succeed ~ which was my Cousin who killed himself while he was drunk. He had a friend who had a gun under the truck seat. Eddie found it and asked if it was loaded. The "friend" told him no and Eddie put it to his temple jokingly and pulled the trigger. We got a call at 3 am to come and identify the body. The police ruled it as a homicidal suicide. The "friend" was given some time in jail due to misleading my Cousin. It didn't bring him back and this person who watched it happen will have to live with it for the rest of his life.

My cousin, was not happy w/ith the way his life was going. He had turned to drugs and drink to numb himself.

With any intervention there is a risk.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Yeru:

If I had a buncha mobsters telling me to "cut the sh*t* or "sleep with the fishes" -- I'd feggedubouddit! (the drugs) heheheh

CG

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

It might. A true intervention meaning everyone knows the goal, there are many people from every faucet of this persons life and that you will not back down. With a JW depending how much of the family is out you might be succesful

• garybuss
    garybuss

yes, several.

• Valis
    Valis

You know Spice there are people in my life that I would love to try that with. Posing a danger to themselves on a daily basis, but you know...you have to have a support base too. One thing my roommate said is..."He could be helped and become a happy and producitve....if one had endless patience, emotional, physical, financial resources." Sad no less. Do what you can for your friend, but intervention comes at its own cost from my experience. One of my friends didn't talk to me for 2 years. Some BS from a junkie huh? Even worse when it comes to a religious jinkie IMO and I don't think it is any easier.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit