The biggest LIE you believed as a JW...

by Waymores Ghost 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Waymores Ghost
    Waymores Ghost

For me it was the belief that all people who refuse to become JWs are intrinsically bad. If someone doesn't accept the "truth", NATURALLY it's because "Satan-the-Devil" has hardened their hearts. When you're a dub, you tend to ignore the ramifications of this. Take your unbelieving relatives, for example. You know they're gonna DIE at the big A, but you never dwell much on that, partly due to the fact that you've been indoctrinated to distance yourself from them and they're now virtually relegated to the same status as all the other worldlings, and because the Society tells you that this is the fulfillment of scripture - can't remember the exact one, you know about how friends and family will abandon you, blah, blah, blah...as the Society is wont to do at every opportunity - use the org to fulfill yet another prophecy,etc.

I think back on my childhood now and remember the times we would visit relatives and how nice they were to us, yet we believed at the same time that these very same people who showed us nothing short of love and affection somehow were wicked enough for Jah to want to kill them. The fact that I never thought about that as a dub I now find unbelievable. That is why I find it to be the biggest lie. JW love is conditional. At the same time, any "love" JWs get from worldly relatives is not viewed as true love, and in fact may be the trickery of Satan, etc.

Now, since family has always been of the utmost importance and at the root of every culture, going back to when we were living in caves, I find the most grievious sin the Society has committed is to misrepresent and skewer the meaning of love to the point of dismissing your grandma as unworthy of life. And the loyal dubs never give it a second thought...

Wg

• seedy3
    seedy3

That they are "God's Org" and they are the only true belief, and of course that goes right habd in habd with your statement. Funny how they didn't knnow they were chosen as his FDS until about 6 years after they were chosen, if h e had been in contact withthem as they always claim, youu would think they would have known right away. Oh but I imagine, maybe, Jesus and Jehovah didn't have their phonelines set up yet, and it took 6 years for AT&T to get the connection to heaven set up.

Seedy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Since the family issues mentioned weren't active in my dub life, armageddon/end of the world was the biggest lie. That doctrine put the kibosh on any normal hopes, dreams, goals, long range plans, career. I haven't recovered from that, yet.

SS

• Funchback
    Funchback

Well, there are a LOT of lies associated with the Watchtower religion.

One that really gets under my skin is the lie about shunning all ex-dubs (or, "apostates"). When I was a believer of the JW religion, I was scared of "apostates". In my mind (put there by the WTS), "apostates" were agents of Satan and they were seeking to devour us. Then, when I learned the truth about the troof, I realized that the WTS was (is) afraid of people learning about how corrupt and wicked the WTS is and that MOST ex-dubs were hurt, betrayed, disappointed by, or lied to by the WTS.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

The whole thing. The house of glass ws destroyed for me during the course of a four hour conversation with my best friend, also ExJW. Having your world view ripped out of your mind that way is very traumatic. I thank him for that every time I see him.

• SanFranciscoJim
  • ESTEE
    ESTEE

"Armageddon is a-comin' and everyone who isn't a dub will die!"

or maybe it is just another version of "The sky is falling!"

ESTEE

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

One Nine Seven Five

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

there are so many, where to start,

but the one real belief i always believed in as a child and up until and even after i had left the borg,

"that the generation of 1914, will not pass away, before Armageddon"

• Purple
    Purple

All of it, every sentence they typed, every word the uttered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit