Children

by Freedom rocks 16 Replies latest social family

• Giordano
    Giordano

" I'm dreading (?) the day he comes back saying his dad says he'll die at armageddon if he doesn't become a witness".

Simply reflect the issue into a level that is appropriate to his understanding.

Sort of like "What a very silly idea! God is not a monster. He loves the little children".

When he starts school and as he grows over the years make sure he can enjoy the social aspects.

Encourage him to enjoy the present.......... but also to look forward.

If his JW father becomes hurt full or insistent that he becomes a JW I have heard about negative JW issues looked at by family court judges who restrict the JW parent and tighten up on visits.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Tameria2001 thank you, I'll have a look.

Giordano I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

• carla
    carla

Learn how to teach a child critical thinking skills.

Do holidays! be the fun parent with birthday parties, Christmas, Easter, after school sports, band, arts, etc....

Visit various faiths to learn about world religions and to let your ex know in no uncertain terms that you will be teaching the child all about other faiths.

Teach the child it is more than ok to be an individual with their own thoughts, beliefs, likes and dislikes.

Teach the child to question everything even if it comes from you, dad, grandparents, teachers and especially religious authorities. When it is age appropriate teach them about cults.

Bring the child to a fun Sunday school! they do arts, crafts, dance, plays and so forth and still learn basic Bible stories. Quite a difference from a kh from what I hear.

Do all you can to protect your child's well being. Protect them from spiritual abuse, physical & sexual abuse, mental and emotional abuse. Be the mother bear and protect your child.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I read somewhere on here I think about a child who came home to his /her non JW parent and said after a stay with the JW parent that they wanted to become a JW.

OK the non JW parent said ,but you do know don`t you that if you do become one you wont be allowed to celebrate or recieve presents at Xmas, and you wont be allowed to celebrate B/days and recieve presents ,and that goes for Easter also because they are all forbidden by Jehovah`s Witnesses .

The child never asked to become one again .

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I focused on teaching my daughter about controlling organizations from the time she was 6 ( when my husband began his re interest in the JW) I wouldn't mention JW specifically, but focus on the tactics of controlling organizations and how dangerous they are. I then used multiple types, MLM, some political groups, and also religions.

Eventually I would casually mention a thing or two about the JW. Then explaining that I worry about what would happen if her Dad became baptized. When she was a preteen I mentioned more difficult things like shunning as a fear, then quickly say there is no way of knowing if her Granny etc would actually do that, but the Watchtower teaches them they must, and they would get in trouble if they disobeyed that instruction. I would mention things like did she notice her granny never mentioned Christmas etc, and then explained why. This was over a period of many years that I would bring it up. Eventually she put the pieces together and asked if the JW were a cult. I answered that many people believe that they are. Books have been written on that.

I would not have a long conversations with her, but short ones so she didn't feel lectured to.

It worked for my daughter. At this point I believe she is inoculated. Thankfully, since she is now just turned 15, and living with her Dad since September. I insisted he move out due to physical abuse and constant verbal abuse, and he convinced her she needed to be with him, or should I say guilted her. He also has been " sharing" about his feelings, and telling her I am mentally unstable. The usual words of an abuser trying to change the perception of reality.

But that is another long story.....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Take comfort I knowing that statistically only 1/3 children born into the religion will remain in it as adults. Odds are certainly in your favour.

• caves
    caves

@Freedom rocks- I think you are likely in the clear since you have primary custody. Meetings are very boring for children. Even if he try's to put that crap into your child's mind, there are tons of ways to deflect it. You have the upper hand in this. Know that and embrace it.

If he ever does "get out of hand with jw stuff ", take his ass to court.

Your the winner in this scenario. imo

But it never hurts to have a game plan on what to say.

You totally got this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit