Cuban Cigars

by OnTheWayOut 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So Mrs. OTWO and I see something on television about Cuban cigars. She asks me if they are allowed into the United States. I told her that I believe there is a softening of the rules, but they are still difficult to get. (As it turns out, but unknown to me at the time of this conversation, a U.S. citizen leaving Cuba can now have $100 worth of tobacco products with them.)

So Mrs. OTWO mentions how we might should go when tourism first opens up because we could see Cuba before it's spoiled. Without really thinking about how "worldly" and "normal" that sounds for a JW, I don't really say anything. She says, "...so would I be able to bring Cuban cigars back or not?"

Here's my answer: "Well as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, somewhere along the way to getting them for someone, you will remember that you are not allowed to decide for yourself if it's okay. You will remember that your religion says they are evil and from the devil and you will freak out if even someone gives you a box of cigars for free right before you board your plane for home, and you will not even pass them on to another passenger but throw them away."

Her answer was literally "Oh.......yeah."

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Get some Cuban made Bacardi instead. Last bottle made there was over 50 years ago.
  • talesin
    talesin

Tobacco and alcohol must be purchased at the duty-free shop, and will be given to you on the plane. It is illegal to buy your own, and transport it across the border. You are allowed "X" ounces of spirits, and "X" number of cigars or cigarettes, and must make a Customs Declaration.

Congratulations on your new-found freedom to travel. : P

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23
    I just flew home a few weeks ago from the Dominican Republic with a box of Cuban cigars - I declared them at customs and the customs officer stopped just short of confiscating them. His instructions were that the embargo with Cuba is in full effect, and it is not acceptable to carry Cuban cigars in your carry on or checked luggage. He confirmed verbally that I only had a single box, and verified on my passport that it was my first time to the Dominican. He told me that if I had brought in more than just a single box containing 10 cigars, or had visited the Dominican before, that I would have had my luggage searched on every international trip going forward - all over a single box of Cubans. He said the searches are ugly once you are "internationally flagged" - meaning that all items in all of your luggage for years would be dumped on a table, sifted through, then sloppily returned to your suitcases - and that it's such an inconvenience and hassle that he'd let me keep the box with a strong warning and a promise never to do it again. I just played dumb and said I didn't know the law about the cigars. They were wonderful, though... Cohiba Maduro 5's - in a sealed box...very spicy and strong. My friends all loved them.
  • Cornbread
    Cornbread
    Mmm, Cohibas.
    Although for the price of a good cigar you can get a nice little baggie of other stuff. I find the latter a much more enjoyable smoke.
  • juandefiero
    juandefiero
    I've smoked Cubans in Mexico before. Surprisingly, I found I preferred Dominican.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy
    We can buy 'em on-line here in the U.K.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

When I was an adolescent, I used to stay at my aunt's house after school. My uncle smoked cigars like a chimney. Even when he wasn't smoking, the cigar smell would hit you in the face just walking through the door. It was imbedded in the furniture and walls.

I miss him and that smell.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I was sent to Charleston South Carolina by my company I worked for in the late 1998.

There were several smoke shops in down town Charleston and one claim to have Cuban 's cigars.

I can't remember the name of the smoke shop, but I always wonder how do you know if you are

smoking a Cuban cigar or a Tennessee brand.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Cuban cigars are lovingly rolled on the upper, inner thigh of a dusky maiden, just give 'em a good sniff, you'll soon know if they are genuine !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit