The Worst Year to be Alive? Answer: Most likely to be 536 CE

by fulltimestudent 19 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I was a witness, since the early 1950's, to the relentless claims of the WT society (then synonymous with jws) that this was the worst of times to be alive. If I had been more questioning and less accepting, I would never have become a shill for these apologists pf the murderous YHWH and his accomplice jesus,

So how interesting to see today an opinion in Science Journal that:-

Quote: "Ask medieval historian Michael McCormick what year was the worst to be alive, and he's got an answer: "536." Not 1349, when the Black Death wiped out half of Europe. Not 1918, when the flu killed 50 million to 100 million people, mostly young adults. But 536. In Europe, "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year," says McCormick, a historian and archaeologist who chairs the Harvard University Initiative for the Science of the Human Past."

You can read why at: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/why-536-was-worst-year-be-alive?fbclid=IwAR0zxOTAKAqV1lLnk1QVYpjFP_urdvEsJaHsw-b4xcYZ9IN0DPCjJrClaY0

But humans survived, although many christians likely predicted the imminent return of Jesus and the end of the world. But they were wrong, just as the present mob with that same message is also proving wrong. The generation that 'saw' 1914 have long gone to their graves, and the believers in JW.com will also go to their graves and will not see the fulfillment of 'fake promises.'

Sad isn't it, to have spent so many years preaching falsehood!

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I happen to watch a few channels about history. I haven't read the 536 piece yet but on one of the vids I watched, a body of an african american was accidentally unearthed in a iron coffin. At first, they thought it was a recent murder because the body was so well preserved. But then the iron pieces the excavator had mangled was found to be a coffin. When the archaeologists got there they were at first excited, then they were horrified. The body was covered with small pox pustules and they quickly called The Center of Disease and quarantined it in case there was still active viruses.

The small pox wasn't viable, but they showed pictures of what small pox did to people. It was terrible. I hadn't realized how awful it was because I thought chicken pox was similar to it. On the lady that had died 150 years ago, it was all over her body and they even found that was on the lining of her brain. Very painful way to die. So a vaccine was made and by 1980 -83 it was eradicated. But many had died and suffered from it.

The witness at work refuses vaccinations and I pointed out to her, she probably would have died if she hadn't taken it back then. In fact if no one took vaccinations, small pox would still be around. I remember taking the sugar cube for polio when I was a kid.

So many terrible diseases are cured or controlled today.

And of course, watching the history channels shows that humans can be cruel and vicious at any age in our history.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Very interesting - thanks for posting.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ok no wonder they panicked when they saw the smallpox pustules...imagine if that baby spread. Poor soul who died in a such horrific way. So many of our ancestors suffered so terribly to build our present immune system, but imagine if we hadn't worked to find cures and vaccines.

Thanks to science smallpox is irradicated...we all stand on the shoulders of giants....and they're not the NEPHILLIM LOL!!!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The Worst Year to be Alive? - it's difficult to come up with an exact year.

Also, it probably varies depending on where you live and which groups you belong to.

For example the worst time to be alive if you're Jewish and living in Europe has to be the late 1930s/early 1940s.

• sir82
    sir82

Seems like 536 was a better fit than 1914 for Jesus' prophecies about the "last days".

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has always exploited people's ignorance not only from a theological perspective concerning bible prophecy or interpretation but from known secular knowledge, condemning any higher education in the process.

It devised a Gospel (1914) that was alluring and advantageous for literature proliferation., well it was and is a publishing house at its operative core.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS/Jworg. and other deviously corrupt organizations involved in charlatanism preaching the End Times like to suggest that mankind just started to have famine, sickness, wars and earthquakes starting around the beginning of the 20st. century ie.1914.

The facts prove otherwise, in a matter of fact all these sorted things were worse before 1914 , but you might not know that if you weren't educated.

• sir82
    sir82

It's curious, now that I think about it...

The year 539 AD / CE was a big one for Russellites. Can't recall what "big event" happened then, I think something to with a declaration by the Pope or something.

So they took 539 AD, added the 1260 "days for a year" from the book of Daniel to it and got 1799 as the start of the "last days", which was a prominent date in Bible Student literature thru the 20's. They didn't shift to 1914 as the "start of the last days" until well after.

Anyway, in 539, the northern hemisphere was still shrouded in darkness, there were food shortages, pestilence, etc.

Maybe Russell was right all along

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Anyway, in 539, the northern hemisphere was still shrouded in darkness,

there were food shortages, pestilence, etc

.......and thousands of years before that date.

Theologians who make up dates of significance are espousing their own ignorance to the facts of what really occurred , the WTS/JWs is just but one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit