Tattoos.....

by Agent Smith 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Agent Smith
    Agent Smith

More BS from the Org....

Its OK for women to tattoo lipstick and other make-up crap on their face, but its not OK for anyone else to get a tattoo anywhere else on their body? There was a sister at our cong that got her lips and her eyebrows tattood. She announced it to eveyone in the cong, so it was no big secret. I figured that she would atleast get Private Reprove or something....After 2 monhts past, nothing happened. The sister was still very active in the meetings and everything. So, I talked to one of the elders about it. I explained that the bible says DO NOT tattoo ANY part of your body. I said "she clearly has done something against Jehovah and the bible." The elder said..."Well, in this case its different because its make-up." I said "No....The bible says "DO NOT TATTOO ANY PART OF THE BODY." He said that it did not apply to her...End of story.

So I then said.."I'm gonna tattoo my arm with an eagle or something since the sister got a tattoo, so can I"

He said..."Do that and I will make sure you lose all your privileges and maybe even get DF'ed. I was a Regular Pioneer and a MS at the time. After he said that I got scared and never got the tattoo. But this is bull....A tattoo is a tattoo, no matter where you get it on your body.

• Galimo
    Galimo

I dont recall any bible verse speaking against Tatoos. Mind sharing the specific location so i can look it up?

• Valis
    Valis

1st Corinthians 3:[17] If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.

Leviticus 19:28 [28] You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. WTF?

oops...I was wrong...they did use the word tattoo in the bible. sheesh but having your lips tattooed is certainly cutting the flesh...

Sincerely,

Disrict Overbeer

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Agent so what your telling us is you were one of those pain in the ass,finger pointing, waaaaaah babying to the elders type people......

• Agent Smith
    Agent Smith

Here is the verse: Lev 19:28

Leviticus 19 28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD ."

Sheila....No, I was not a whiny little bastard. I got into trouble many times for little insignificant crap all the time. I just felt it was not fair that this women broke a major "law" and nothing was being done to her.

• Galimo
    Galimo

Interesting, Leviticus 19:28 it was indeed.

Ok nevertheless I would say that banning all tatoos would be like putting on blinkers. This is a little bit like hairsplitting to me but here it comes anyhow: A cosmetic tatoo does not form any picture. What we usually associate with the word "tatoo" is a symbol or picture of something. In the ancient times when that Leviticus verse applied the people tatooed themselves because of religious reasons.

I say only a buroucratic mind would bann _all_ kind of tatoos. Meaning cosmetic type of tatoos now.

Do you usually paint eagles, skulls or crosses on your body? Women do paint themselves with make-up every day.

• Agent Smith
    Agent Smith

Excellent point Galimo....

But this just shows how stupid some elders are. They could not give me a reasonable explination on this tattoo situation

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

g00 8/8 p. 19 Body Decoration?The Need for Reasonableness ***

Bible

Principles to Consider
    One of the mandates for Christians is to preach and teach the good news. (Matthew 28:19, 20; Philippians 2:15) A Christian would not want to let anything, including his appearance, distract others from listening to that message.?2 Corinthians 4:2.
    While such decorations as piercings or tattoos may be popular among some people, a Christian needs to ask himself or herself, ?What kind of a reaction would such a decoration provoke in the area where I live? Would I be associated with certain fringe elements of society? Even if my conscience were to allow it, what effect would my piercing or tattoo have on others within the congregation? Would they view it as an evidence of "the spirit of the world"? Might it cast doubt on my "soundness of mind"???1 Corinthians 2:12; 10:29-32; Titus 2:12.
    Certain types of body modifications carry serious medical risks. Tattooing with unsanitary needles has been associated with the spread of hepatitis and HIV. Skin disorders sometimes result from the dyes used. Piercings can take months to heal and can hurt for much of that time. They can also produce blood poisoning, hemorrhaging, blood clots, nerve damage, and serious infections. Additionally, some procedures are not easily reversed. For example, depending on the size and the color, a tattoo can take several expensive and painful laser sessions to remove. Piercings may leave lifelong scars.
    Whether or not an individual decides to accept these risks is a personal decision. But one who seeks to please God recognizes that becoming a Christian involves the offering of oneself to God. Our bodies are living sacrifices presented to God for his use. (Romans 12:1) Hence, mature Christians do not view their bodies as their exclusive property to be damaged or defaced at will. Especially those who qualify to take the lead in the congregation are known for their moderate habits, soundness of mind, and reasonableness.?1 Timothy 3:2, 3.
    Developing and exercising the Bible-trained power of reason will help Christians avoid the extreme, masochistic practices of this world, which is so hopelessly "alienated from the life that belongs to God." (Ephesians 4:18) They can thus let their reasonableness shine before all men.?Philippians 4:5.

In my days, up to the mid 1990's , such things would have been discouraged -a new tattoo may be even grounds for non appointment or removal of priviiliges if the tattoo were viewed as garish or extreme, but certainly not a judicial matter.

The principle of I Cor 3.17 is too vague to directly apply , and the Jewish Law (Leviticus) passed away and is no longer binding on the Christian congregation. I had been told that the nations around Israel used cuts and tattoos as things of religious significance

It would be difficult to be too strict . Many brothers (elders) of my time had tattos from their youth, usually when they were in Armed Forces. One rather straight laced elder always wore long sleeved shirts even in the hot weather. One day I found out that he had two tattos of near naked women, one on each forearm and they reached from his wrist to his elbow. No doubt he still has them

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I know of an ex-brother JW who rebelled in a big way -- he left and got a mouth and lips tatooed on his dick! True story

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Speaking of tatooing.............I just got a very sacriligious idea for a tatoo................tatoo of the ten commandments..........one slab on your right buttocks, one slab on your left.........with the crack going down between the two of them..........signifying you don't give a shit and will do anything you damn well please! And, no, I am not under the influence of any mind altering substances, I'm sitting at my desk at work!

Terri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit