Just bought an AWESOME book!!!!

by Sunnygal41 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

I.. I.. didn't know I had a book reading problem. Help me!

Currently reading 'The light fantastic' by Terry Pratchett

Just finished 'I, Robot' by Asimov - they are making it into a movie this summer with Will Smith

And just starting the next in the Robot series, 'The caves of steel' by Asimov

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

mmm...books

I can't get enough of them. Used book stores make me moist, an evening at barnes and noble is to me a good night out...I am such a nerd...

• Odrade
    Odrade

nerd here too. I am such a bookaholic. Sunday we were at Costco and my hubby bought me two books. I was so happy I said, "I'm so happy, you bought me books!" LOL.

One was a reflexology book and the other was "1421" about the Chinese finding the Americas. Books. drool.

Odrade

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I've been too busy writing books lately to read any good ones!

For those of you who missed my recent thread, my new science fiction novel was just released by the publisher last wekend. I'm busily working on my second novel now.

I just saw my book listed on Barnes & Noble's web site. What a rush!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hey Sirius, have you ever read anything by Roger Zelazny? The Amber series maybe? I just finished reading The Jerle of Shannara trilogy by Brookes, it was OK but too much padding. It would have been 1 great book. But I am not sure but I have a feeling that money may have something to do with making a trilogy rather than a single volume. But would authors be motivated by money?? Hard to believe...

Pope

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    But would authors be motivated by money?? Hard to believe...

Speaking as a writer, I will say that I write because I love to write. Unfortunately, the landlord loves to collect rent. The electric company loves to send me a bill every month, as do the cable company and the telephone company. I also have the need to eat occasionally.

The only way I can continue writing, which is my first passion, is by avoiding the rat race of a nine to five job. This is why I am hoping my new novel will be a success. Otherwise, I'll have to return to the world of Corporate America and watch yet another dream dashed to pieces. I am doing everything I can think of to promote my book so I can continue my writing career.

• patio34
    patio34

I have just finished reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King--I really loved them. So, until the 6th in the series comes out in April, I'm reading The Stand and enjoying it very much.

Deepak Chopra for non-fiction at the moment.

I always like to have fiction and non-fiction going at the same time.

Pat

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

SanFranciscoJim - So what's the name of this book? If you don't want to post, send me a PM or point me to a link.

PopeOfEruke - Haven't heard of Roger Zelazny before, would you recommend the amber trilogy and what is it about.

I have dabbled in writing before, I have a bunch of abstracts or story outlines or whatever they are called written. Most of them are sci-fi-ish for lack of a better term. I am spread too thin though between all my other hobbies and probably will do nothing with them for years.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Just finished 'I, Robot' by Asimov - they are making it into a movie this summer with Will Smith

And just starting the next in the Robot series, 'The caves of steel' by Asimov

I read all of Asimov's fiction by 15; I loved it all. I reread I, robot every few years; good fun. I have always thought that the Foundation series was used for much of the source material for Star Wars. It is a great read.

I like some modern scifi authors too; Roger Z is good. Jack Chalker is fun, though more fantasy than sci fi.

I was so disappointed to find out that Azimov was an atheist, and a debunker of the bible. It doesn't bother me too much anymore; I guess I am more secure in what I believe, and what I believe has changed a lot too.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim - So what's the name of this book? If you don't want to post, send me a PM or point me to a link.

The book is called Squares, Triangles, and Saucers. I've set up a website and am selling a limited number of autographed copies there: http://www.scifi-book.info.ms/

It's also available on the Barnes & Noble website, and Amazon should be listing it within the next 2 weeks when they update their database again.

Thanks for asking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit