Just bought an AWESOME book!!!!

by Sunnygal41 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hello you fellow apostatoes! I just went to get a coffee at the little coffee shop up the street from where I work.............. "Leaves and Pages" which also is a wonderful snuggly little book shop! It is one of my most favorite stores because I am a bookaholic! When I walk in, I go into a manic behavior of eyes darting every which way to check out what new goodies they've obtained since my last visit..............along with the fact that they are having a mid-winter sale.......30-50% off most of the books in stock............as I'm grabbing my coffee cup and lid, I spy a new book.............."Crossing Over: where art and science meet"..............now, I'm stopped dead in my tracks............not only is the cover art scrumptious, but the title has absolutely caught my attention! Maybe you fellow bookaphiles and closet mad scientists can understand my curiosity..........the authors: Stephen Jay Gould and Rosamond Wolff Purcell...............most of us x-dubs recognize Steve's name from the "Creation" book and other articles refuting evolution that the society has written..........so, of course, my curiosity was piqued by that too.....................anyhoo, I grabbed the book with trembling hands and went to the counter.........now, the price inside this book, which appears to be brand new, is $27.50 US/$39.95 Canada..........but, they have marked it as $13.25............and with the 30% discount, I am out the door with this treasure in my possession for the grand total of $9.28!!! Anyone curious as to what it's about, as I begin to read it, let me know in a pm! Some of the more interesting thoughts, I'll post here!

Terri of the can't believe her good luck class!

• Special K
    Special K

AAAAHHHH...

A good book and a cup of coffee... (now that's heaven )

Alright, you did it.. I wanna' know what's in the book ?

sincerely

Special K

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Table of Contents:

I FORM AND TIME

Dimension and Distinction

1. Inside Dimensions

2. Individuality

3. Part, Counterpart

Scale

4. Scales of Destruction

5. Worldly Skulls

6. Big Birds

Inside, Outside--Right, Left

7. Exotic Interiors

8. The Allure of Equal Halves

9. Pulling Teeth

10. Layering

Richness and Loss of Information

11. Two Sides of Every Issue

12. Report to the Librarian

13. The Old Red Sandstone

14. Superposition

II MIND AND NATURE

Mental Biases

15. Faces Are Special

16. Placid in Plaster

17. Revealing Legs

18. Pickle of the Litter

Expressing Nature's Order

19. Pride of Place

20. Brothers under the Hair

21. Divide and Conquer

22. Stretching to Fit

23. Animal, Vegetable, Mineral

Change and Directionality

24. Double Entendre

25. The Yellow Leaf Road

26. Preposterous

27. Less Stately Mansions

28. Consider the Lilies of the Sea

29. Infiltration

30. From Man to Mouse

I will try to describe some of the pictures and artwork in a future email.....................

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh goodness trust me to just adopted a gal that is Educated!!!!Me of the stupid class.!!!! lol

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Granny, you have wisdom that I will never have! I was just born with an overactive imagination and curiosity! I love to read, because my mom always read to me, and I love art......I used to draw alot when I was a kid, but, now, I channel it in all different directions! My boyfriend is an artistic soul too, in fact he works in impressionistic style..........and did two quick sketches with pastel of two of the fruits of the spirit............he's a Christian, I'm a Pagan................he drew faith as a man down on his hands and knees, but not completely beaten............love is the other one............he drew a mother tenderly holding her babe to her breast................so, when I see these books, I buy them as much for myself as for him.................

• patio34
    patio34

I can understand your excitement Sunnygal. I call Barnes and Noble my temple since leaving the JWs. I said to a friend that when I retire, I'd like to work in a book shop (such as Barnes) and she said that I wouldn't receive any pay, because I'd spend it all on the books.

I was just there Sunday, with their Starbuck's coffee, and bought two Deepak Chopra books on agelessness (sounds good, huh?), and The Stand by Stephen King.

Heaven IS a good book and a cup of coffee, isn't it? "So many books, so little time."

Let us know what you think of your book. I have one by Stephen Jay Gould, but didn't read it as I was too tied up with Dawkins and Diamond's evolution books at the time.

Enjoy!!

Pat

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Thanks, Pat! And.............nice Avatar, btw! Is that the "Queen of Heaven"? (remembering those bookstudies in the 70's about the prophecies) I'll post some highlights, when I can!

Terri

P.S. They serve Green Mountain there............I like mixing a little flavored with a regular........today it was gingerbread and Lake and Lodge....................

• patio34
    patio34

Ha, ha, Sunnygirl, about my avatar. I'm laughing because it's the Starbucks symbol that i doctored up and liked it. I don't really know what she represents--but to me it's Starbucks!

Patio

• bisous
    bisous

Hello. My name is Kim and I, too, am a bookaholic.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Kim!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit