BBC News Article 4th Feb 2020. Jehovah's Witnesses sued over 'child sex abuse'.

by ThomasCovenant 10 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ThomasCovenant
  • The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

It's on BBC2 @ 10.00 am today

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I just started watching this, and half way through the door bell rang. Would you believe it? There stood a JW with a little leaflet in his hand. What are the chances? The last time they appeared at my door must be over two years ago. I missed the second half of the program talking to this guy. Needless to say, his idea of how sex abuse cases are handled within the org and how they actually are handled are quite different. Still I told him the reality of the situation, although I don't think he believed me, I was after all just repeating devil inspired propaganda.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

@ Ultimate Axiom - it'll be available on BBC iPlayer later on.

I was delighted to hear the member of Parliament willingly agree that the the Charity Commission should review the org's "charity" status in view of the fact that the org's safeguarding policies were not meeting the requirements required of charities.

However, the M.P. was clearly embarassed and hesitated to find a safe reply when asked why the Charities Commission had been "investigating" the WTBTS for the past seven years! Totally inexcusable incompetence.

The U.K. Charities Commission appears to be sweeping the problem under carpet and assisting the cult!

• St George of England
    St George of England

Once this new arrangement has been implemented removing all the congregations as registered charities the CC will have no jurisdiction whatever. I wonder if this is one of the reasons for the move. The WT Society of Britain will claim all the tax refunds etc.

Sad to say this programme with Victoria Derbyshire is being axed as part of the BBC cost cutting exercise. More likely a case she has asked a few too many pointed questions over the years.

George

• St George of England
    St George of England

I have just watched this, very good programme. I doubt it will awaken many JW's but may well do good to outsiders.

It also explains why the Charity Commission registration for each congregation is being dropped.

George

• Spiral
    Spiral

So they blame the parents for not protecting the children. Disgusting.

I know of a case where a parent was concerned about the proximity of a potential abuser who had just been released from prison (for various crimes). One of the brothers was studying with him and was letting him live for free in a small (nothing fancy, but free) house he owned close to them. This guy didn’t have a job so wandered around the neighborhood all day. The elder couldn’t figure out he was just being used, and children (JWs and others) were around.

She was totally shut down. This guy was horrible and did end up back in jail. But none-I repeat none-of the local elders would listen to her. Nor would her MS husband.

• annihilator
    annihilator
    BBC TV - Victoria Derbyshire 04 02 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJtc5MnpBN4

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The charities Commitee has been investigating Jehovah`s Witnesses since 2013 ?

Jesus ,six / seven years and they still haven`t revoked their charitable status ?

I totally agree with fall guy on this issue , this is a disgrace 7 years and no action ?

• Half banana
    Half banana

The problem with the Charities Commission is they have the job of making sure that all charities are being run according to the existing guidelines.Their brief is not to question the qualifications for status as a charity. Note however that the Police are also investigating.

What is required to disqualify mentally abusive religions such as JWs and Scientologists is only in the hands of the government and they need to be convinced of the scale of the problem, the benefits of implementing it and then set about drafting new legislation.

The legislators need to learn that what the official line of the JW organisation says is often at odds with what they expect their flock to adhere to.

They also must be made aware of the process of entrapment whereby the children of Witnesses are indoctrinated when still too young to make a critical evaluation, then committed to a lifelong following of the organisations directives. This is encouraged on the basis of natural parental obedience but also through fear of divine judgement. This is abuse because it is the JW org taking advantage of the innocence of children to submit them to the will of their religion.

It is true that the indoctrination could be said of most religions, this is why the legislation would be difficult to frame.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit