Forced to Choose Between Beliefs and Family

by Roger Kirkpatrick 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Roger Kirkpatrick
    Roger Kirkpatrick

[Please feel free to share.]

Forced to Choose Between Beliefs and Family

“No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds objectionable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.” That statement appeared in an article entitled “Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?” in the July 2009 Awake magazine, published and distributed widely by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Nearly everyone reading that statement would consider it to be mere common sense. However, to a Jehovah’s Witness, that statement only applies to those changing religions to become a Jehovah's Witness, not to those who leave the Witnesses for conscientious reasons.

That same Awake article continued: “Does study of the Bible lead to family breakup? No. In fact, the Bible encourages a husband and wife who practice different religions to remain together as a family.” Yet, Jehovah’s Witnesses who voluntarily leave the religion for conscientious reasons are often divorced by their mates who remain in the religion. When I resigned as a Witness in 2015, my wife of 43 years divorced me.

It has been said that the Jehovah’s Witness religion is like the Eagles’ Hotel California where “you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.” An individual Witness can “check out,” as it were, by becoming inactive, ceasing to attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall and not actively preaching, required activities for active Witnesses. However, if at any age one chooses to “leave” by voluntarily resigning from the religion for conscientious reasons, one is ostracized and shunned by family and friends who remain in the religion. Such treatment of ex-Witnesses is mandated by the Watchtower Society, the legal organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and anyone failing to obey that directive is subject to the same treatment. Many observers–evidently including the Russian government–view this common practice by Jehovah’s Witnesses to be a violation of basic human rights.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that they alone are God’s organization on earth today, and their actions over past decades suggest that they consider themselves to be an entitled religion, exempt from the judgments they presumptuously impose on other religions. For example, the article “Are You Also Excommunicated?” in the January 8, 1947, Awake magazine criticized the Catholic Church’s practice of excommunicating those who violate Church laws, stating that the practice has no basis in scripture and is of pagan origin. However, just five years later, in 1952, the Watchtower Society embraced a more severe form of excommunication called disfellowshiping. Unlike excommunication, disfellowshiping requires that morally upright persons who leave the Witnesses for conscientious reasons be completely shunned and viewed as dead by family and friends who remain Witnesses.

Similarly, the article “Their Refuge–A Lie!” in the June 1, 1991, Watchtower denounced as apostate other religions specifically for being accredited to the United Nations as non-governmental organizations (NGO). However, before 1991 ended, the Watchtower Society had also become accredited to the UN as an NGO. While publicly denouncing the UN as the Devil’s visible organization, the Watchtower Society served essentially as publicity agents for the UN and served in that capacity for the next ten years, reapplying each year for accreditation, until the double standard was exposed in an expose by the Guardian newspaper in October 2001.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught that it is their God-given responsibility to expose religious error and hypocrisy wherever they find it. They often visit their neighbors–uninvited–and warn them to leave their Babylonish false religions or face destruction by God at Armageddon. They believe that failure to render such warning makes one blood-guilty before God. Yet, Witnesses who openly challenge unscriptural Watchtower teachings and practices are routinely disfellowshiped and branded as mentally diseased apostates.

It's been said that when a toxic person can no longer control you, they will try to influence how others view you. If only in spirit, Jehovah’s Witnesses closely resemble the Islamic State (ISIS) which literally kills those whom it views as infidels.

President Barack Obama stated, “We must work together to decisively and unequivocally reject hateful ideologies, teachings and practices that are incompatible with the values of religious tolerance, mutual respect and human dignity.”

In his book, “Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief,” Lawrence Wright wrote: “People have the right to believe whatever they choose. But it is a different matter to use the protections afforded a religion by the First Amendment to falsify history, to propagate forgeries, and to cover up human-rights abuses.”

Russia recently banned Jehovah’s Witnesses as an extremist religion which threatens human rights and destroys families. I believe that any religious organization which suppresses truth, or manufactures and propagates its own truth, is an oppressive and harmful cult. Furthermore, I believe that any religious organization which violates the basic human rights of its members–such as requiring families to shun members who leave for conscientious reasons–should have its tax-exempt status revoked.

Roger Kirkpatrick

Texas Hill Country

[email protected]

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

Well said! Why can't they see it?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thank you for posting this

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Yet, Jehovah’s Witnesses who voluntarily leave the religion for conscientious reasons are often divorced by their mates who remain in the religion. When I resigned as a Witness in 2015, My wife of 43 years divorced me.

Totally blown away. I'm so very sorry.

But it is a different matter to use the protections afforded a religion by the First Amendment to falsify history, to propagate forgeries, and to cover up human-rights abuses.”

Absolutely agree

However, just five years later, in 1952, the Watchtower Society embraced a more severe form of excommunication called disfellowshiping.

Just to make things clearer, the practice of shunning for dissassociation didn't come into practice until 1981, as a result of the GBs desire to besmirch the good name of Ray Franz.

Excellent, hard hitting piece!

• venus
    venus

Anyone who believes shunning is right can never see anything right because that is the rock-bottom one can go in distorted view.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I must check out that 1991 WT ref.., it sounds like one to keep. Sadly though, as many have noted, a rational argument is lost on someone who is mentally blind and unwilling to see reason.

I have shared some of the scandals with dubs.. like the UN business and the Chilean flag waving but I get told that I am nit picking . They don't want to know.

• Roger Kirkpatrick
    Roger Kirkpatrick

@BluesBrother, for relevant documentation relating to that June 1, 1991, Watchtower, see the Facebook page "Jehovah's Witnesses and the United Nations."

• Tallon
    Tallon

Great post Roger. Definitely bookmarking this one!

• steve2
    steve2

JWs are polished at promoting double standards.

From stating that 'people in the churches of Christendom need to scrutinize their every belief - but we don't have to scrutinize out beliefs because we've got the truth' - to decrying the terrible treatment suffered by honest-hearted ones who leave their religion of birth to become JWs - while championing the right of JW organization to shun those who leave the organization.

I'd suggest that wilful blindness prevents the rank and file from seeing these blatant double standards.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds objectionable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.” That statement appeared in an article entitled “Is It Wrong to Change Your Religion?” in the July 2009 Awake magazine, published and distributed widely by Jehovah’s Witnesses."

What was WT thinking when it put this in the ragazine? It just goes to show you how they talk out of both sides of their mouths! Idiots! And we are supposed to try and use logic with these people? NOT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit