Is there a Mormon equivalent to JWD?

by nicolaou 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

no offense, but there's a huge difference between unique hits and general 'hits' Joker10.

I'm not saying that repeat hits are useless, if you can keep the attention of a visitor on any site for more than 30 seconds, you're doing well. I'd have to see JWD stats to know for sure, but I can't imagine this site is getting any less than 160K hits per day. 900 posts per day? Come on, am I crazy or is JWD getting at least twice that? You can't even follow a thread because it's buried 25 pages back within an hour.

As far as LambsRoar goes, while there's not as much posting going on as other boards, our reader count is skyrocketing, and we're only starting our 2nd year. I think we're doing damn good considering we concentrate on one aspect of one small religion. (although we do discuss everything from the weather to every aspect of religion).

I put some thought into this theory that there's more Mormon opposers than JW. I seriously doubt this can be the case since the LDS Church is the fastest growing Church in most parts of the world, with the JWs being next in line (but not even close when you put the numbers together). Not to mention that the LDS Church is more than twice the size of the JW Church. So you're going to find alot of Mormons and people considering joining the Mormon Church who will hit on your site to see what you're bitching about. The mormon population doesn't have the fear factor of being disfellowshipped (and shunned) should they come to your site and read, like the JWs would have for coming to JWD to read.

Which reminds me, what do you guys have to complain about? You don't get shunned, your Pedophile policy is the best of any religion in the world, and you had to go to one meeting a week growing up. Geez, I'd trade that childhood for mine any day of the week. Especially the days I was in a fool suit knocking on my friend's doors while they were running around being kids.

So that's it. Ex-JWs are better than ex-mormons :) - J/K

Rev

• Joker10
    Joker10
    the LDS Church is more than twice the size of the JW Church.

There are more active Witnesses than there are active Mormons. The number of active mormons is of some 4 million. The LDS church counts 'lost' and inactive people as members.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Joker: Think carefully about your position. Are you trying to say Witnesses are okay since they have fewer detractors than Mormons? Even if that were true, isn't your logic extremely oblique? It's like you're feebly protesting, "But at least they have more apostates!"

SNG

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Thanks Blondie. One of the links contains the Mormon Dictionary

:Internet: Pre 2002 - God's tool to assist in spreading the Gospel. Post 2002 - Satan's Playground (make sure you use an LDS ISP)

I guess the Internet causes as big a problem to the LDS as the WTS. How long before the WTS has its own ISP?

:Jehovah's Witnesses : Like Mormons, but without the weirder bits.

Glad I was never brought up in a weird cult then!

3rd

I liked this one too as it seems familiar:

adult: an eight year old to be baptised (but we consider child baptism to be wrong)

• BlakesDoom
  • RevMalk
    RevMalk

"There are more active Witnesses than there are active Mormons. The number of active mormons is of some 4 million. The LDS church counts 'lost' and inactive people as members." You got me on that one. I don't have a clue how they rank active or inactive Mormons or JWs. I thought that JWs were counted unless DF'd - same with Mormons. I do know that the JWs count publishers (I think?) whether baptized or not, while the Mormons do not count you until you're baptized. But even still, if there are 8 million + Mormons that don't go to Church (leaving 4 million that do), that doesn't mean there are 8 million + opposers. Same with JWs. The growth rate is astronomical even still though, in the LDS Church. We had Missionaries coming to the house for a while, and when I asked, the one missionary said he had baptized 20 people in his year and a half and was embarrassed because it was far below average (he claimed he was below half the world average). I've been a member of quite a few JW congregations and have never seen that many be baptized per congregation, let alone per missionary. Anyway, the point is, the Mormons have more baptized individuals worldwide than the JWs every thought of having, so yes, most likely there are more ex-Mormons than ex-jws. Are there more ex-Mormon activists than ex-jw? I seriously doubt it. The JWs are a plague to mankind, there's no two ways about it. The Mormons? I don't mind them so much. In all fairness, my major gripe is the JW pedophile policies. If it weren't for that I'd have been on my way by now and not hanging out at these message boards anymore. For me, there is work to be done and actual abuse survivors to assist. I just don't see that problem (as prevalent anyway) in the Mormon Church, but by all means you may enlighten me, I'm all ears. As far as I know, of all the religions of the world, the Mormon Church has by far the best policy on child abuse. It could be that I just don't know how in-depth the problem is with Mormons. If they're a nuisance to ex-Mormons, so what. If they're committing crimes and covering them up (or being a threat to the general population), I'd like to hear about it. Rev

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Don't think Jehovah's Witnesses don't count inactive ones. My wife posts on this board, hasn't been to meetings in nearly 2 years and the last conversation she had with the congregation secretary was that he was going to count 4 hours a month in field service time (and therefore making her an active JW). Why? Because she reads the Bible to her children, therefore it's a Bible study, therefore she is given the field service time, and for all I know a Bible study each and every month.

All religions pump up their numbers.

• undercover
    undercover

I learned more about the Mormons from the South Park episode about Mormons than I ever did from talking to Mormons(and I've known a few).

DumDumDumDum

To me their religion is easier to debunk that JWs. I always considered the Mormons the wackiest of the "main" religions in the US. Do Mormons and the other "main" religions look at JWs the way I looked at Mormons? Is the WTS easier to debunk to them?

Anyone ever post on their ex-boards for their viewpoint?

• Joker10
    Joker10
    the one missionary said he had baptized 20 people in his year and a half and was embarrassed because it was far below average (he claimed he was below half the world average). I've been a member of quite a few JW congregations and have never seen that many be baptized per congregation, let alone per missionary. Anyway, the point is, the Mormons have more baptized individuals worldwide than the JWs every thought of having,

The LDS church has, perhaps, the poorest retention of any religion. See, mormon missionaries baptize people within 2 weeks of meeting them. The person usually never attends church after one visit. The missionary's goal is only to baptize them, not to keep the person's interest alive.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.cumorah.com/report.html#inactivity

It seems the LDS is willing at survey those who leave to find out why. An excerpt,

When we examine the history of the mission programs of groups such as the Seventh-day Adventists, the Assemblies of God, and the Southern Baptists, we find that significant learning and improvement have occurred. The fallacies of "quick-baptize" approaches, the massive subsidization of foreign chapels by the U.S. church -- especially in areas of low local activity, etc. were learned quickly. Church-planting techniques were pioneered and carefully refined through a combination of a study of effective models from the mission field, meticulous research into what worked and what did not work -- and why, and ongoing feedback from front-line missionaries and members. Models of international media outreach and resource utilization efficiency were also refined through practical feedback and the pooling of broad-based insight, especially from leaders who had been effective. All of these denominations are experiencing much more rapid growth worldwide than the LDS Church today, and for the Adventists, convert retention rates consistently run between 73% and 81%.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit