I'm New Here.... Part 2

by ZeroKool29 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• ZeroKool29
    ZeroKool29

So, I got home from my tryst and sure enough, everyone knew all the details. So a Judicial Comittee was set up. I was accused of coercing a happily married woman to drive 8 hours to spend 4 days with me in various hotel rooms all at her husband's expense. I was told by our Presiding Overseer that what I had done was reprehensible and that I was doing "what a dog would do." I was brought before the comittee and was asked very specific details. Where? When? How many times? You know the drill. The whole time I am sitting there it's popping into my head "Do they realize that I was in love with this woman? Do they realize that I was in love with my wife? Do they know what my marriage has been like? Do they know about my wife threatening divorce? Beating on me? Refusing to work? Wishing me dead? Did they forget that only a year or so before SHE left ME? Do they care about my side of things or are they only concerned about me telling them what I did so they could punish me?" I felt betrayed, in a way, but I sat there and answered all of their questions and listened to them telling me that this was all for my benefit. That this was a loving arrangement. And then it came down to the question that illicited my first honest words. At the end of the whole hearing, one of the brothers whom I admired a great deal asked me, "Aaron. What do you want to do?" I sat there for a long time and so he asked me again. "Aaron, what do you want to do?" Head down and shaking it softly from side to side, lost in a hole of thoughts that would not stop spinning, I said "I don't know." He asked me again, "Aaron.....what....do....you....want...to...do?" and I repeated "I don't know." Because I was unable or unwilling to tell them that I was truly sorry, that I had sinned in a moment of weakness and would do my best to prove I wanted the "truth" it was decided that I would be disfellowshipped.

Even at the time, I did not realize what was happening. I felt like I deserved it. In the back of my mind I remember feeling that I could handle being DF'd. After all, the only way to go from there was up, right. But those words, "I don't know." They sealed my fate and set up years of questions and doubts and family estrangement that exist today. I have not been to a Kingdom Hall in 6 or 7 years. I have forgotten the day I got baptized. My wife and I are now in the process of divorce (have been for a few years now.). I have 2 brothers and a sister who refuse to talk to me until I "do what I know is right and come back." But I know one thing now, I will never go back. As goofy as it sounds, I have come to liken my df'ing and subsequent seperation from the organization as "Waking up from The Matrix." Yes, my life is harder in many ways, but at least I am not enslaved to the "Truth." In my case doubt, not truth, set me free. Doubt made me utter those words "I don't know." Because I DIDN'T know. And now I see that even in my confusion I knew enough to know that beggin forgiveness and seeking re-enstatement would have been a lie. Now, I am content with my uncertainty. Because that means I have an open mind and now, I would not trade that for all the fellowship the Witnesses could offer me.

I know this was scattered and incoherent, probably. But I hope that I can keep sharing and putting these thoughts down. I've begun to see that I am in a process of coping with , and eventually closing that part of my life. I hope I can do that here.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Aaron - not incoherent at all - very clear. Welcome to the AWAKE club!

Seeit

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Welcome to the site, Aaron! I remember the relief of coming here and being able to talk freely about my JW experiences for the first time... it really is an important step in coping and moving on. I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here.

Glad you found us.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for writing that second installment!!

I have an open mind and now, I would not trade that for all the fellowship the Witnesses could offer me.

Well put! With that open mind, you'll likely attract plenty of good friends. You deserve them!

I am in a process of coping with , and eventually closing that part of my life. I hope I can do that here.

Of course you can do that here! This is the perfect place for that. Not only will you get these things out in the open, but also you'll find others who have been through similar experiences.

For example...the elders bad-mouthing you, comparing you to a dog. (One of the elders on my committee called me "coward" and "evil" because I wouldn't confirm lies that were being told about me.) Actually, the elders wanted you to be like a puppy dog, coming back to them with your tail between your legs. The satisfaction they get from controlling people is nothing short of disgusting.

But they have no power over you any longer! Grrrrrreat.

• Latte
    Latte

Welcome ZeroCool!

But I know one thing now, I will never go back. As goofy as it sounds, I have come to liken my df'ing and subsequent seperation from the organization as "Waking up from The Matrix." Yes, my life is harder in many ways, but at least I am not enslaved to the "Truth." In my case doubt, not truth, set me free .

Be sure that many can relate the the above comment.....so glad that you took the right tablet and now feel free!

There some wonderful people who post on this board, hope that you stick around!

• SYN
    SYN

Hi there,

Your story is very similiar to mine.

Eventually, provided you do enough true research on your own (something the Watchtower strongly discourages, for the very good reason that it causes them to lose absolutely loads of their "sheep"), you'll find out that what those bastards in the Judicial Committee did to you is inexcusable.

And from there, the world is your oyster.

• badwillie
    badwillie

Well written (not at all incoherent). Thanks for sharing your life with us. We all need some support here as we are all in various stages of recovery from cult membership.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome Zero !!!! Your definatly nOT a Zero!!!! Your getting it ALL together welcome again (((HUG))

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Good story!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. You had a terrible childhood, losing both your parents that way, and I really feel for you. Probably some of the memories are so painful that you have pushed them deep into your consciousness and that's why you can't remember a lot, or it is fragmented. I definitely recommend therapy, either grief support (for the death of your mother) or a group for abuse victims (because of your dad), or a group for recovering cult members. It helps to share your story with others who understand -- that's what we do here, so hopefully we'll be a help to you as well!

Welcome to true freedom!

Nina

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Kool, as someone wrote,you are not a zero anymore.By that I mean,when we were in the society we were all just numbers to fill seats in the kingdom hall,at the book study,assemblies,conventions etc.Now that we are out,we are not numbers anymore but people with feelings,who have been hurt and for some damaged beyond repair or for some it will take a long long time to recover from this cult.

You are on your way Kool! You are not DF'd from life,the real life that exists outside the walls of the WT.Do whatever it takes to stay close to your son,he will give you a fresh outlook on life outside the wt.Give him all the love you were denied,find someone who will also love you.Together you will move on and put this all behind you in time.

Come to this board from time to time and you will find a listening ear,an extended hand,and comfort from the many who know and feel your pain.Take good care of yourself.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit