Atlantis and Crystals

by VM44 13 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

"Atlantis, The Lost Empire" was an animated film released by Disney. In it quartz crystals were featured as the power source for Atlantis.

Back in the early 1970s, the popular Dr Who series had an episode ("The Time Monster") about Atlantis, and again, crystals were used, and the crystals had something to do with the destruction of the continent.

The legend of Atlantis goes back to at least Plato, but Plato did not mention anything about crystals!

So, how did this association of crystals with the Atlantis legend come about? Does anyone know?

--VM44

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

There has been alot written on the subject. It is up to you to decide what is garbage and what is not. The various authors that I have read have used a wide variety of methods to gather their 'data'. Some were channeling spirits and such. Others were using hypnosis to get to people's sub conscious minds and pull up past life memories. All in all, not the most reliable eays to gather information. I look at it just as if I were reading the Bible. Question everything.

Anyway, supposedly the Atlanteans were using large finely tuned crystals as energy sources and as tools for transportation and civic uses. The crystals would actually store power as opposed to generate it. As the story goes, some in a position of power and authority missused the crystals out of greed, and basically sunk their continent into the Atlantic Ocean.

Is this the kind of stuff you were looking for? I do not believe this as absolute fact. I think that something happened, and am willing to keep open to possibilities.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi darkuncle29,

Thank you for the infomation.

I was wondering how cystals were added to the popular legend of Atlantis. I have the feeling that they were added somewhat recently (sometime in the 20th century), and that it might have something to do with esoteric New Age teachings.

--VM44

• Navigator
    Navigator

I never heard of that connection. The most sensible explanation I ever heard for the Atlantis legend was in a book about the pyramids of Egypt. Can't remember the title or author. The author suggested that the earth's crust slipped about 35 degrees due to the weight of the glaciers covering what is now Europe. That would have set up a monstrous tidal wave capable of wiping out an entire civilization which might have developed along the coastline. The author believed that Atlantis was what we now know as Antartica. We know that it wasn't covered by ice 10,000 years ago and ancient maps have been found that show precisely what we have recently discovered it looks like under the ice cap. It also explains how northern Canada, which is a frozen swamp, came to be a very cold place and how the mastedons were quick frozen with undigested grass still in their stomachs. If it did happen like that only the highest and most remote outposts would have survived. We know the ancient Incas and Mayans were marvelous astronomers. Where did they get that knowledge if not from a highly developed civilization?

• SYN
    SYN

Navigator, care to point us to some research to back that up?

It's all very interesting...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Because people who believe in Atlantis (possible factual origin obscured in myth) also believe in crystals (science fact obscured by pseudoscience)? And also are far more likely than an average member of the population to believe in similar things?

Or because you're not distinguishing possible fact from fiction?

For example; Atlantis is probably the Minoan civlisation, destroyed by Santorini in the Agean going BOOM. Some fiction writer added on crystals as he was what is technically known as 'making things up'.

For example; Dick Turpin was a highway man who was a real person. However, various aspects of his story (his gallentry, his epic ride from Essex to York, hih horse's name) are all tracable to an 19th C novelist who made them up.

For example; Robin Hood might be based on a historical character, but most of the elements of the story are additons well after the period he lived in, made up by various story tellers.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The legend of Atlantis is actually based on the notes of a Greek named Solon, who travelled to Egypt several generations before Plato's time. While in Egypt, Solon visited a priest at the temple of the goddess Neith. According to Solon's notes, he was told that the Greek civilization was too young to know much about history (only a few hundred years at the time), while Egypt had seen many other cultures come and go. The priest claimed that each time a culture passed away, some new culture would rise up and think itself to be the first. He then showed Solon astronomical records of every solar and lunar eclipse which took place over the previous 10,000 years (if this is true, this would dramatically affect our own view of the history of civilization). Finally, the priest made a specific example of a culture which had been very advanced, but had vanished beneath the waves in a tremendous cataclysm less than 1000 years before.

Fast forward several generation to Plato, who reads Solon's account of his travels, and pens the Atlantis story, not as history, but as a moral lesson against impiety. In HIS version, he claimed that Atlantis was destroyed, not as a result of a natural disaster, but because the gods were offended at their behavior, in much the same way that Sodom and Gomorrah were said to be destroyed because they offended a different god.

The problem is that readers in later generations didn't understand that Plato was writing a moral lesson, not a historical account. They just swallowed it whole, exactly as written, without allowing that Plato might not have all the facts straight, or if he did, that he might not introduce his own spin on the story.

Among geologists and archeologists, the most favored probable basis for the story is the destruction of the Minoan culture, whose capital city was destroyed by the eruption of Thera (also called Santini), around 1350 B.C.E. The Minoans were quite advanced culturally and technologically, as far as we can tell, they didn't have nuclear power or antigravity, but they were considerably ahead of even the Egyptians, with hot and cold running water and indoor toilets, which wouldn't be duplicated even during Platos lifetime, nor for several hundred years more.

The hypothesis of the crust rapidly slipping around the mantle is not widely accepted among geologists, because the shear strength of the rocks binding the crust to the mantle is viewed as being too high to allow it to move separately. The slow movement of the crust as a result of plate tectonics is widely accepted, however, although it wouldn't contribute to the Atlantis story.

A very interesting account of archeological findings on Thera and how they relate to the Atlantis story can be found in "Unearthing Atlantis" by Charles Pelligrino.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

gaiagirl: I love replies like yours to bits.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

syn, i think the book navigator was talking about may have been 'atlantis blueprint' by rand em-flath.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

gaiagirl - great answer.

But was more thinking of a flood. ( and not Sodom & Gomorra)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit