How many new converts do you remember as a JW?

by SydBarrett 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

Inspired by the "Whats the reason you think JW's are in decline" thread.

My belief is that almost all the growth, at least in the western world is due to JW's having kids. I was a 4th generation JW from birth till about age 20, so the timeframe I can comment on would be my teen years. For context that was the 1980's so I guess that would be considered the 'old school' pre-internet, pre-generation change version of the WTS.

I was in the same congregation the entire time and I can only remember one couple who were called on, began studying and were baptised. Once in a great while someones bible study might attend a few meetings then quit. Around age 14 or so, the congregation outgrew the building and we split into 2 and a new KH was built. But every face I can recall were 2nd, 3rd,4th generation. The doubling in size was all due to families.

Aside from that couple, the newest in the congregation were 3 families with kids my age who had converted as young adults back in the 60's and early 70's. I liked all three families but the parents were definitely the former hippie/seeker types who picked the wrong train to enlightenment. By the 80's it seems that sorta thing was over.

Was your experience the same? Also when answering, please include the general time period you were a JW

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore
    Same experience. Helped a few sad saps into the religion. But almost all growth can from born ins. Now born ins are leaving in droves. The religion is shrinking at a rapid rate. Headquarters is VERY concerned, but there is no turning the situation around. My experience with JWs is longer than most, and my exposure to all levels is broad. I can say with a fair degree of authority that they are dissolving.
  • Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I left in 95 - 96. I think the internet is what has stopped much new growth. Now people are just trying to figure out how much they can salvage from their family and friends....which isn't much most of the time.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"I left in 95 - 96. "

Were you born in? What age were you in 95-96?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Yes - born in. (4th Gen)

I was 32 in '95

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"Yes - born in. (4th Gen)

I was 32 in '95"

Interesting. Did you immediately jump from JW to fundamentalist nutter or was there an in between period?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I was a convert in 1959/ 1960 ,and in 1961 my new wife, and i were baptised ,and then married at a KH.

Brought our two sons up to be JW`s who both left at about the same time my wife and I did in the early 1990`s

And we have all done nicely since then .

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i recall in the last cong i was in--in the early 70,--there was a huge growth spurt--all the new members will simply jw families having moved from other parts of the country.

Then there was quite a buzz when a new young couple, with a child started to attend. But it was no good--they were both grown up jw kids who had left in their teens to sow wild outs--got together--and came back on board to get their cards stamped before 1975.

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Another thing that's happening with watchtower and meetings is depression. Being s JW is a heavy load. Lot's of JWs struggling with mental and emotional issues. Going to does boring meetings is not helping someone that has anxiety or depression. It actually makes situation worse. Jws meetings are totally lacking any enthusiasm and real joy. Add the requirements you have too put mask of holiness. There's no way meeting attendance gonna increase.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I remember one woman who converted in the early 70’s. They interviewed her on stage, they were so happy to convert someone from the “world”. Her story was that she had engaged in wild orgies, etc. as a worldly person. At about age 10, that is how I learned what an orgy was. She ended up disfellowshipped 3 months later. I guess those orgies were really good. Never saw that woman again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit