Dumb 'experiences' you were told as a JW

by BettyHumpter 14 Replies latest jw friends

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

This one stands out in my mind. It was reported that 'a brother', unnamed of course, was out in Field Service and was set upon by a pack of vicious dogs. He made it back to the car and was injured quite badly with his arms, hands and leg bleeding heavily. This brother insisted on continuing the days assigned territory before seeking medical care.

What are some stupid unlikely stories you were told?

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

One i heard time and time again was about a pioneer in Colombia. He got killed by a sicario when he was out in service. The murder later became a jw. He became a pioneer and vowed to do his time and the time the pioneer he killed would have done. This was back in the 80s when pioneers monthly hours was about 90 hours. Never receive an explanation why drug dealer would kill a jw and why he didn't receive prison time. But that's how the story went.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The leaflet in the kangaroo pouch was a classic.

One I heard that was a variation on a theme: while in the hairdressers a sister was told, by someone who worked there who, in hindsight, must have been a “demonic”, or a possessed person, that because Jehovah killed the demons’ children (the Nephilim) in the flood, the demons are now determined to snatch as many youngsters away from the truth as possible so they will die at Armageddon. Why at a hairdressers? I’ve no idea. I think this might have been an idea about the demons targeting young JWs, made in a talk at some point, that was grossly embellished and set in a conversation in a public place.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

at a convention, we were told about a sister who had a fulltime job, 5 children and pioneered...( I'm thinking something has to give--)( when would there be time for the children, for housekeeping?- kids were looking after each other and doing the cooking and cleaning???) And the Bible tells us not to be comparing ourselves with others, but for what reason would the WT have such an experience if not to cause you to compare yourself and guilt-trip you?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

I always felt those convention experiences were either greatly exaggerated or totally made up by people who have no concept of what life is like in the Real world. 🤣

As somebody who actually worked full-time for a secular employer, I can tell you there would be No time to hold down a full-time job, commute, raise five children AND pioneer. There are only twenty four hours in each day and somebody can only physically be in one place at any given time, last I heard.

How could anybody possibly believe these stories?

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I have First hand experience where a Pioneer sister over exaggerated the story of how her beat up run down car was repaired at my brother's shop. My brother was in the audience at the same convention when this sister was telling her bullshit. My brother text me ,we could not believe the story. It was not how it went with us and she didn't pay her bill.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

JW Urban Legend:

A JW was at a large beautiful house and got into a heated argument with the HH. As he walked away, the brother told the HH that one day he would live in that big house of his after Armageddon.

Sometime later, while this brother was working at an Assembly in food service, someone tapped him on the shoulder and it was the man whom he had the argument with. The man was grinning ear to ear and said that if he still wanted to live in his house, he would need to buy it ...because he had just gotten baptized.

My ending:

They then hugged each other and shared a Shasta Lemon-lime soda to commemorate the occasion.

Shasta Twist Lemon Lime, 12-Ounces (Pack Of 24) - Walmart.com

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Here is one that is always mentioned and repeated over the years:

w92 1/1 pp. 5-7

“Their Sound Went Out”

There is no escape from the Kingdom preaching. An Italian Catholic used to get annoyed every time Jehovah’s Witnesses called on him. So when his company transferred him to Singapore, he felt that at last he would not be bothered by them. But to his surprise, the Witnesses were there too. So he obtained two fierce dogs to attack the next Witnesses who came. When two Witnesses called at his home, out jumped those dogs. Terrified, the women ran for their lives, going in different directions at a road junction. As one of the dogs caught up with her, one of the Witnesses desperately grabbed two brochures from her bag and shoved them into the dog’s open mouth. At this, it stopped chasing her, turned around, and trotted home.

The following week, the same two Witnesses were making a return visit at a house across the street. The dogs’ owner was in his garden, and, surprisingly, he greeted the women and invited them into his house. He told them that he had never spoken to Jehovah’s Witnesses or read any of their publications. But he had been amazed to find the brochures in the mouth of one of his dogs. That evening he had read the brochures and was really impressed with them. Although he had been a Catholic all his life, he expressed a desire to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Since the man was being transferred back to Italy, arrangements were made for Jehovah’s Witnesses to study with him there. As he and his wife started to attend meetings, the parish priest angrily confronted them with threats. When someone set fire to their garden, the couple severed all ties with the church. This man now says: “I have already been witnessing to many of my family members because I want to let them know that Jehovah is the only true God.”

• Ding
    Ding

I remember two stories. Not sure where I read or heard them.

1. Some brother swam through crocodile-infested waters in Africa to be able to witness in some remote village.

2. A brother witnessed in a very rough neighborhood and was severely beaten for his efforts. When asked about his experience he said, "I just thank Jehovah for his undeserved kindness."

I remember thinking how dedicated those men were and how I could never measure up to that standard.

It wasn't until years later that it occurred to me that those stories might have been complete fiction.

That was after I realized that the Watchtower motivates mostly via guilt, fear, and shame.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Nothing like washing down a frozen chocolate pudding than with a high-sodium Shasta Twist. Keep those JW experiences salty!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit