Info please

by newby 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• newby
    newby

Hello!

Are the Jehovah's witnesses a Christian Religion?

Do you believe in freewill?

What version of the Bible do you use - King James?

Thanks!

Newby

• shotgun
    shotgun

They are Christian although less for Christ and more for Jehovah

They beleive in freewill as long as does not contradict Watchtower guidelines so in reality no freewill.

JW's use the New World Testament which is their own translation which incorporates they're own beliefs

And Welcome newby

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

So true Shotgun. The following excerpt from a Watchtower publication entitled "Revelation It's Grand Climax At Hand!" page 36 explains the official viewpoint:

"Loving Praise to Jehovah

and his Son"

"In the songbook produced by Jehovah's

people in 1905, there were twice as many

songs praising Jesus as thee were songs

praising Jehovah God. In their 1928

songbook, the number of songs extolling

Jesus was about the same as the number

extolling Jehovah. But in the latest

songbook of 1984, Jehovah is honored

by four times as many songs as is Jesus.

This is in harmony with Jesus' own

words: 'The Father is greater than I

am.' (John 14:28) Love for Jehovah

must be preeminent, accompanied by

deep love for Jesus and appreciation of

his precious sacrifice and office as God's

High Priest and King."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Jehovah's Witnesses call themselves the only True Christians, but they are really followers of Jehovah rather than Christ. According to the Orthodox definition of Christianity, they are NOT Christians.

http://www.apologeticsindex.org///c94.html

I have never seen Free Willy, but I hear that there are many that believe in him. http://fanclub.michaelmadsen.com/films/Willy.html

The Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe that all have the same hope. They search out "honest-hearted ones" to share their good news with. The rest are the weeds that Jehovah will soon destroy. So they pay lip service to free will. Everybody has the free will to ignore their advice and become buzzard food at Armageddon. From their website:

... By permitting wickedness, God has once and for all time demonstrated the sad results of misusing free will.

www.watchtower.org/library/dg/article_07.htm

• Joker10
    Joker10

Newby, this is not a pro-JW site. You can read about their beliefs here www.watchtower.org/beliefs_and_activities.htm

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree w jgnat, they aren't christians. Here is why:

Don't follow jesus, follow instructions of wt society, instead.

Don't pray to jesus.

Don't worship jesus.

Don't praise jesus (well not much).

Don't do the works jesus did (miracles).

Don't preach the gospel of jesus that first century christians preached. They have added a new gospel message.

Have replaced jesus' simple rules w a bunch of organisational rules, including little things like how to dress.

Give more attention to the ot (old testement) god jehovah than to jesus.

--

What they are really, is a sort of judaism, w a little bit of the reform that jesus preached. They changed their version of the bible to suit this cult by adding the ot name of god, jehovah (yahweh) about 200 times into the text of the nt (new testement).

Their org is really more of a book and magazine publishing company, than anything else. Jws are volunteer sales and distribution workers. Their meetings are pep rallies, and indoctrination sessions.

SS

Ps, yes, i believe in free will

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Are the Jehovah's witnesses a Christian Religion? I say not.

Do you believe in freewill? It's a good - brings out the truth. What version of the Bible do you use - King James? RSV (all the intended books), maybe KJ, look at others, but I can't go into the NWT - the whole thing sounds like an agenda to me

Thanks! Not a worry

• Gopher
    Gopher

The JW's mainly use their own translation of the Bible, "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures", although their literature sometimes quotes from other translations when it backs the point they're making.

Also, the JW's teach that the Bible cannot be properly understood when read by itself. Rather it must be accompanied by Watchtower publications, which they believe contain the only correct understanding of the Bible. To back this up, they'll often quote the Ethiopian eunuch, who in Acts 8 asked the evangelist Philip, "How could I understand without someone to guide me?" So they've appointed themselves as the "guides" to all mankind.

Independent thinking and discussion regarding spiritual topics is viewed as the Devil's tool. (If you want to see how closely they must adhere to their organization's teaching, simply attend the Watchtower Study on Sunday where they hear some information read, and then in answer to the meeting leader's questions, basically parrot what they just heard. This goes on for almost an hour.)

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

In My opinion JW is very much an xtian religion in fact it claims to be TRUE CHRISTIANITY, How is Christianity defined? simple, a follower of Christ and Jws profess to follow Christ.

mainstream xtians have deified Christ but the creteria of Christianity is not the identity of Christ but a doer of his sayings.

Jws belive Christ was the Messiah, that he came from heaven, that his death was for atoning all sins, athT jesuswas the son of God and Jws accept the NT.

Above and beyond the JWS is the Bible and what the Bible means and if Jesus was to come quickly why 2000 years and if Jeus paid for ouer sins why are we still paying and why does God allow creatures to suffer and on and on, BUt if one had to formulate a religion based on BIble I say that the Jws have it in my opinion.

Yes the Jws are a Christian religion. No doubt about it.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Jws belive Christ was the Messiah, that he came from heaven, that his death was for atoning all sins,

Correct me if Im wrong here, But the Jws feel that Christ shed blood was only for the sin man inherited from Adam. Not our everyday run of the mill sin.

As if these two types of sin are seperate.

I believe Yahweh is the only free agent.

Nasb/ Niv / Kj / often NWT for research purposes.

E

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit