Fundamentalist Scientist

by Satanus 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Fundamentalist:

1. A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

Or slightly generalised:

A __________ movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to _________.

Scientist:

A person having expert knowledge of one or more sciences, especially a natural or physical science.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fundamentalist

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=scientist

Anyone you know?

SS

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your post ??

A fundamentalist may be a poor scientist - a one who does not gather all possible and available knowledges, but rather, heads for a thesis based on chosen things that massage the pretyped understanding.

• Satanus
    Satanus

APaduan

Here is my point: A scientist can fit into the fundamentalist mould. For instance, a scientist's point of view can be characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often intolerant of other views and opposition to his own. Thus, a fundamentalist scientist.

SS

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I follow you SaintSatan. Like the people who told Columbus that the world is flat, told Galileo that the earth is the center of the universe, and told Chuck Yeager(is that the right guy?) that the sound barrier can not be broken. Their science has become their religion.

I am not saying that all scientists are like this. Anybody who thinks I was trying to say that is a moron. I believe that same holds for politicians and their followers. Their political views become like a religion.

• Satanus
    Satanus

DU

Right, so christianity isn't part of this definition.

SS

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

SS

Right, so christianity isn't part of this definition.

I agree. I think the definition is just precise language like a mathematic formulae. It is when you plug actual values into the varialbes that interesting answers come to light.

Christianity just being one of many belief systems, having many variations within itself. I think that almost any belief system can be fit into this definition. That last is not meant as an absolute.

• acsot
    acsot

good, I found the thread. The silence from all the rationalists is deafening . Maybe I shouldn't have posted, my contributions usually kill threads!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

LOL,

This feels like quicksand here.

So you take the standard dictionary definition which includes "usually religious" and focus on "rigid adherence to those (fundamental) principles," and "intolerance of other views" and then remove "opposition to secularism".

(taking first step into sand up to ankles)

I can see your point. However the word cannot be applied fairly to science. Fundamentalist hate secularism, Science gave birth to, nursed and anointed secularism.

(oops, loosing balance as sinking up to waist)

Science is based on rationalism. The Bible, that the fundamentalist (religious type ) love to thump, was written as a spiritual guide, not as scientific, rational dialogue. (wow, hold chip up out of quicksand) They both have there place in mans mind and heart.

Religion and the Bible can peacefully co-exist if they are each respected for what they offer. Fundamentalist, literalist, anti-secularist can not mix and cannot co-exist with science.

(spater, spater, spitting rising sand out of my mouth, last words bubbling out of quicksand) Just need to find a different word to describe some intolerant scientists which allows for secular narrowmindedness.

(help)

Jst2

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nice try, jst2. While fundamentalist originated with and about a branch of protestantism and is mainly applied there, it began also to be used for some islamic groups. It has also been used with regard to other humanities. Here is a googlism on the word, showing some of its usages. Notice that a few usages are for teachings in general:

Googlism for: fundamentalist

fundamentalist is a
    fundamentalist is a totally negative person
    fundamentalist is back
    fundamentalist islam splits muslim
    fundamentalist is a terrorist
    fundamentalist is a totally negative person distributed by way of life literature?s fundamental baptist information service
    fundamentalist is a word that is often used to tar someone with the image of stodgy
    fundamentalist is wise
    fundamentalist is clear
    fundamentalist is published twelve times a year by
    fundamentalist is one who believes and obeys everything that is clearly taught in the scriptures
    fundamentalist is likely to
    fundamentalist is not easy
    fundamentalist is one who desires to reach out in love and compassion to people
    fundamentalist is a dirty word
    fundamentalist is a highly
    fundamentalist is rare
    fundamentalist is
    fundamentalist is one who believes
    fundamentalist is simply in
    fundamentalist is that he thinks that everything he believes about his religion or denomination
    fundamentalist is not a dirty word
    fundamentalist is not like the pastor of the open door baptist church
    fundamentalist is convinced that the path that he/she is following is "the right" path
    fundamentalist is an evangelical who is angry about something
    fundamentalist is actually derived from a series of essays published from 1910 to 1915 under the title
    fundamentalist is available for instant download
    fundamentalist is wholly identified
    fundamentalist is the name of our monthly magazine
    fundamentalist is an"unscrupulous
    fundamentalist is one who adheres to the fundamental principles of an education or teaching
    fundamentalist is someone who takes his religion seriously and whom whoever is writing the article doesn't like
    fundamentalist is fundamentally an uninformative word
    fundamentalist is well
    fundamentalist is wrong
    fundamentalist is actually derived from a series of essays published from 1910 to 1915 under the
    fundamentalist is published twelve times a year by horizon publishing company
    fundamentalist is going to order that bibles must be passed out to public school kindergartners; not every liberal is going to order condoms passed
    fundamentalist is calvary?s love
    fundamentalist is thus limited in how far he or she can modify their paradigm for understanding the world
    fundamentalist is carried in the same direction
    fundamentalist is too busy protecting and projecting the truth
    fundamentalist is one who strictly maintains new testament standards
    fundamentalist is a person who follows and adheres to the fundamentals of the doctrine or theory he is following
    fundamentalist is the same
    fundamentalist is sure to work
    fundamentalist is not an anarchist
    fundamentalist is someone who is in love with the past and who is unfaithful to the past
    fundamentalist is bound to defend the brittle shell on which their
    fundamentalist is to have the biblical version of creation taught alongside evolution; and
    fundamentalist is a born
    fundamentalist is a religious person who adheres to the "fundamentalism" of their particular religion
    fundamentalist is being a true believer
    fundamentalist is intractable
    fundamentalist is the self
    fundamentalist is not as sure of himself as he appears to be
    fundamentalist is someone who believes that their religion has become so weighed down with doctrinal arguments between competing factions
    fundamentalist is someone who cares about the defense and preservation of the gospel
    fundamentalist is a virgin or some of your women are giving up the pussy and you guys are just turning a blind eye to it
    fundamentalist is oriented toward the family
    fundamentalist is anyone who believes the bible is the word of god
    fundamentalist is actually producing
    fundamentalist is to buy when prices are at or below this intrinsic value and sell when they get overpriced
    fundamentalist is to persuade people to accept the authenticity of an eternal message
    fundamentalist is derived
    fundamentalist is a person who affirms these truths
    fundamentalist is quite aware of the fact that scholars regard the garden of eden and the serpent satan and the hell of fire as myths analogous to those
    fundamentalist is ranked #1 in the 5
    fundamentalist is one who adheres to the origin of belief
    fundamentalist is expressed as an ambivalence for popular culture
    fundamentalist is that we are a free nation

• slenderdog
    slenderdog

Definitions are descriptions of the meanings of words, that is, of how people use and understand them. "Fundamentalist" is usually understood to refer to religious belief. I think the point is that the unwavering adherence to "fundamental" principles ascribed to religious "fundamentalists" is a type of adherence found in some active in other mental spheres, such as in the category of thought we call "science." That is, it is possible to espouse stated principle to the exclusion of contrary principle, theory or fact in any mental discipline, not only in religion. Thus "fundamentalist scientist" would describe a scientist who is not seeking scientific truth because he believes he has found that truth. His effort is directed toward promoting and defending his belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit