Did you know that J.F. Rutherford was part of the Knights of Pythias? There's PROOF for this!

by ILoveTTATT2 78 Replies latest jw friends

• sparky1
    sparky1

Jeffro...............you are in over your head. Just accept that and move on. I have examined lots of newspapers from that era online. J.F. Rutherford , the lawyer was some sort of local celebrity. The 'preponderance of evidence' suggests (notice that I didn't say proves) that more likely than not, ILoveTTATT2 is probably making a correct assumption.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

sparky1:

Jeffro...............you are in over your head. Just accept that and move on. I have examined lots of newspapers from that era online. J.F. Rutherford , the lawyer was some sort of local celebrity. The 'preponderance of evidence' suggests (notice that I didn't say proves) that more likely than not, ILoveTTATT2 is probably making a correct assumption.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. There is hardly a 'preponderance of evidence'. There is an assertion that something might be the case because someone has the same initials as someone else. Nothing more has been established.

Rutherford was a lawyer (was never officially a judge), and that could well have afforded him some celebrity in a small town, but that does not make him a member of the Knights of Pythias. It is not impossible (or significant) that he might have been a member (or a guest speaker by virtue of his 'celebrity') at some point, but it seems quite odd that no such explicit statement seems to exist in any of this supposed 'preponderance of evidence'.

• sparky1
    sparky1

As an interesting side note............the Judge's brother was very naughty.........

• sparky1
    sparky1

Jeffro.........If you choose to ignore the evidence and not do your own research, that is your business. Don't belittle others on this post that are making the effort. When you actually take the time to read all the articles online, form your own reasoned out conclusion and create an intelligent rebuttal, only then will I give any of your postings credence.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Jeffro.........If you choose to ignore the evidence and not do your own research, that is your business. Don't belittle others on this post that are making the effort. When you actually take the time to read all the articles online, form your own reasoned out conclusion and create an intelligent rebuttal, only then will I give any of your postings credence.

Oh no. Some random person on the Internet won't give me 'credence'. Woe is me. I've read what's available online on the matter. Haven't seen a single original source that says Joseph Rutherford was a member of the Knights of Pythias (nor any reason why it would merit repeated exclamations of "wow"). But feel free to provide a link.

• Earnest
    Earnest
    A recent post refers to the Sedalia Democrat of Sept. 8, 1898 which has an article on James B. Rutherford, brother of Joseph F. Rutherford and says :

[James B] Rutherford is a brother of Attorney J. F. Rutherford, a prominent lawyer of Boonville, and his family is one of the oldest and best known in Central Missouri.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Jeffro
    slimboyfat:
    The Boonville Advertiser mentioned Joseph Rutherford often.
    For example?

Previous post of mine:

It is most likely him.

Here's another time where he appeared in the same newspaper.

http://truthhistory.blogspot.mx/2012/12/j-f-rutherfords-first-book.html

• sparky1
    sparky1

Here is an item of interest. Although he was not elected by popular vote to be a Judge in Missouri, J.F.Rutherford 'officially' and legally served as a judge in Cooper County according to Missouri statute. I realize that this is common knowledge but it is kind of neat to see it in writing.

The St. Louis Star and Times Monday , January 12, 1942 pg. 7

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The Boonville Advertiser of March 17, 1899, page 1 under the title "KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS BANQUET, reads:

'On Monday evening Golden Gate Lodge No. 91, K. of P., of this city, conferred upon Mr. Henry Sombart the rank of page; upon Wilbur T. Johnson and Chas. Sombart the rank of knights, and upon William T. Lionberg, Dr. P. L. Hurt and Carl Ames the rank of esquires. The Ceremony was conducted by Prof. H. Clay Harvey, of Glasgow, assisted by members of the lodges of Fayette and Boonville. Although we are not a knight, we understand that the work was very impressive and beautiful.

'Between the conferring of the second and the third rank of delicious supper was served in the large banquet hall of the Knights' castle. Mr. Joseph Rutherford acted as toastmaster. Dr. P. L. Hurt responded to the toast, "Our Guests:" Prof. Harvey, "Pythianism:" J. W. Jamison, "Our Candidates:" Stonewall Pritchett, of Fayette, "Influence of Pythianism on Society."

'The following out-of-town knights were present: From Fayette--Guy Holly, Oat Marlow, Dr. U. S. Wright, Al Besgrove, Al Besgrove Jr., A. M. Rollins, Paul Wolfson, Dr. J. R. McGraw, Stonewall Pritchett, Dr. O. F. Burton; from Glasgow--W. D. Settle, editor of the Glasgow GLOBE, Walter Layman, E. E. Roll, Charles Shackelford, H. Clay Harvey; from Franklin--A. L. Green, editor of the Franklin NEWS; from Tipton--Messrs. Hayne and Logan.

'Prof. Harvey arrived Sunday afternoon and was entertained by Mr. Charles Miller and Mr. Eugene Windsor. While here he visited the Reform school and other places of interest, and says Boonville is the best town in the state of its size.'

The entire column is quoted for all to examine. Note that the Rutherford in question is listed as Joseph Rutherford, not John. He is not included among the out-of-town Knights who were in attendance at the banquet. Joseph Rutherford was the toastmaster, a position that would not be filled by a non-member who would be unfamiliar with the Knights' rituals. Moreover, of speakers at this occasion, only one, Stonewall Pritchett, is listed as not from Boonville.

Despite the evidence, and there is much more, Watchtower apologists will no doubt argue that perhaps there were two Joseph Franklin Rutherfords living in Boonville and the one who belonged to the Knights of Pythias was not their guy.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Thank you for this. I think this is good enough. Putting it on Wikipedia. With the caveat that it is unknown if J.F. Rutherford continued being a member after he became a Bible Student.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit