How to Fake It As An Elder

by metatron 10 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

If you are an elder, there's lots of ways you can make life easier for yourself

while still keeping your position. Old Timers know these tricks but usually are too

afraid to talk about them. Here goes:

1. Appoint a new elder and dump all undesired responsibilities on him so that he

can "gain experience". In my congregation, the Theocratic Ministry School Overseer's

job got passed around like a hot potato. Nobody wanted it. Likewise, you can also

dump stuff like judicial cases you don't want, etc. The beauty of this is that some

young naive guys will never say no to anything and end up wrecking their families,

marriages, and sanity. Barnum was right.

2. If you're a P.O., cultivate an inner circle of a few elders who vote your way on things.

It makes things much easier - and keeps controversy away from troublemaking

elders or mavericks who might stir things up. Works well in covering up child

abuse, starting building projects you want and generally getting your own way.

3. Don't worry about qualifications - that was something you did to get appointed.

Generally, you don't have to be hospitable, kind, just, or generous. Just do

what the C.O. says - or pretend to.

4. Speaking of the C.O., if you want 'special favor' - like a circuit assembly part

a little contribution will help. How 'bout rounds of golf, an expensive dinner,

or sometimes even a direct contribution like a $100 handshake?

5. Fake your hours, period. Tell the service group, "you have calls" and go do what

you want.

6. Let the Ministerial Servants run things on weekends, Sundays especially.

Make the congregation think you have lots of public talks scheduled and

building projects to attend - while you go to the lake and fish.

7. If you want to shed responsibilites, claim depression and talk about quitting.

You can get out of being Secretary just by not harassing people to turn in their time.

Bounce a check to two to get out of doing accounts. Give meeting parts with lots

of extra research not in the printed text and find that you don't get meeting parts

because of jealousy ( "Brother X's parts are always so interesting!").

There's lot more I could say but you may have some tricks of your own!

metatron

• dustyb
    dustyb

take it you are a pissed off elder?? hehehe, sounds good. actually it sounds just like corporate america. it is how things work at best buy. the managers throw shit on the supervisors and its just a "wash down the creek" type deal. because then the supervisors throw it on the seniors, then the seniors don't want to do it, so they throw it down to the full time spots (the shit end of the stick). so whats so different?? its just how a corporation works.

• Maverick
    Maverick

This is just too real Met. Love it! Work the new guys and the MS's! That's how you do it. Glory for nothing and chics for free! Put them all in dire straights!Maverick

• Puternut
    Puternut

You can also fake an orgasm, because you have just been up all night doing research on the WT- CD and you just cannot focus anymore.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

Hi Metatron,

Good post.

This is 'old school'. In the 70's, people streaked; in JWdom, nothing changes. Elders finding ways to get out of living up to the responsibilities they accepted and being excused for not living up to them. Typical.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    6. Let the Ministerial Servants run things on weekends, Sundays especially.

Make the congregation think you have lots of public talks scheduled and

building projects to attend - while you go to the lake and fish

Our cong had a list osted of where everone was going to be-if we had a visitng speaker, it told us where our elder was going to be and what talk he was giving. So it might have been hard to fake that. but otherwise, pretty good suggestions.

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

Act like you are better than every body else.

When asked for advice give common sense answers and act like they come from the bible

Tell other people how to raise their kids

Always report just enough time

• Maverick
    Maverick

We had those away talk lists too! I noticed early on that most of the Brothers tried to get a 9AM talk time. Then they could take the rest of the day off. When I did this, I left after the talk, saying I had stuff to do at my Hall. Then I took the rest of the day off as well! Away talks are a nice break. If you are a good speaker you get treated special! I tried to get on the list often when we had the late meeting in Sundays. Maverick

• blondie
    blondie

Spot on, metatron.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1. Appoint a new elder and dump all undesired responsibilities on him so that he can "gain experience". In my congregation, the Theocratic Ministry School Overseer's job got passed around like a hot potato. Nobody wanted it. Likewise, you can also dump stuff like judicial cases you don't want, etc. The beauty of this is that some young naive guys will never say no to anything and end up wrecking their families, marriages, and sanity.

I took part in this scam but at the time it did seem the right thing -- and the brother did do the TMS -- in our congregation though the elders always viewed the secretary job as the hardest and least desirable job

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit