US Presidential Elections: Statistics G. Washington to George W. Bush

by Shaft 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Shaft
    Shaft

I think this is a fascinating website.

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/

It has totals from every presidential election and maps of the electoral college.You can look up the county you lived in as a child and see how your parents as well as your friend's parents and neighbors voted. Was it Nixon or was it Humphrey? Did Wallace get any votes in '68? This is the site to find these election results and so much else. Anyone with an interest in American history or politics or both should take a look at it.

Enjoy, Andy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Okay, Andy, you lived in Michigan in 1976, the homestate of Gerald R. Ford.

I lived in Georgia, James E. Carter's homestate. How did these candidates fair in their homestates?

Ford won with 51.83% of the vote in Michigan.

Carter won with 66.74% of the vote in Georgia.

So Jimmy Carter was more popular at home than was Gerald. Interesting.

Thanks for the link. Pretty cool. It's interesting to look at the results of all of those past elections.

Heather

• Shaft
    Shaft

I see a few of you have looked at the thread. I'd love to know what you think. Take a minute to tell me what you think of the website I've linked you to.

Thanks,

Shaft (No one understands him but his woman.)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Brilliant website -- thanks for the link - -I have already added it to my favorites

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

alt

To those that say that Bush "lost" the election, look at this.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cold Red Rain,

When you look closely at that map you can see that many highly populated areas and cities are colored red though. So to me all that blue can be deceiving. I'm neither a republican nor a democrat but I think think the election was nose and nose.

Heather

• Badger
    Badger

CRR:

So you're telling us that a hunk of Southern Utah should have more pull than half of Chicago?

I prefer to look at the numbers, which STILL have half a million people difference for Gore.

The only thing that matters is the Electoral College, though...And bush won that by taking Florida...and therein lies most of the dispute over the 2000 result.

And when an executive of Diebold (the company making the new voting machines that will not allow for any manual recount) tells a GOP group that his company is "Dedicated to bringing Ohio's electoral votes to the party," I think a 2004 controversy is already brewing.

• dubla
    dubla
    To those that say that Bush "lost" the election, look at this.

yeah, its a tired and completely ludicrous argument, isnt it? anyone who falsely claims this either doesnt agree with the electoral system, or is a complete moron. it's one thing to say bush lost the "popular" vote by a very slim margin....it's another thing to claim he "lost the election", or "didnt get elected", which is simply not true.

aa

• dubla
    dubla

badger-

And bush won that by taking Florida...and therein lies most of the dispute over the 2000 result.

you do realize that an idependent count (after the smoke cleared) showed that bush was the clear winner of florida, right? just in case anyone missed it:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/3/22/160828.shtml

aa

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

When you look closely at that map you can see that many highly populated areas and cities are colored red though

One point: former democracies were made redundant by politicians going after big cities and ignoring the smaller towns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit