Serena Williams

by Kenneson 19 Replies latest social physical

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

See "Serena's next game. Sidelined by knee surgery, the tennis champ talks about life off the court--including her acting career."

And check out sister Venus as she models Serena's designs! Wonder if it will become a fad at Kingdom Hall?

An interesting excerpt from the article: "...Jehovah's Witnesses, she and Venus still proselytize. (They started using the phone insead of going door-to-door, because people would ask them to sign their Bibles)..."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4050966/

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hi Kenneson,

I read the same article in this week's Newsweek. It got me thinking. Who do they call and who assigns the territory? Is this just their excuse for not actually going out on FS at all. Getting rejected via the telephone is one thing but what happens if they find interest? Do they just pass on the call because if they turned up for a return visit they still be asked to autograph a Bible.

Very strange, but when you have money and fame you don't have to follow normal JW rules.

Thirdson

• Smyler
    Smyler
    Very strange, but when you have money and fame you don't have to follow normal JW rules.

Guess not.. Here's Venus..

• reboot
    reboot

.so noone at her congregation thought to take her aside and have a word about the flag? hmmmm

• flower
    flower

Good for them!! If I was smarter when I was their age I would have told the JW's to take their rules and SHOVE them too!

I say good for Venus and Serena for NOT GIVING UP THEIR DREAMS like the rest of us good little brain washed dubbies.

they are an inspiration for other young witnesses that they can be free and not feel guilty. Venus and Serena will undoubtedly be df'd eventually but I doubt it will be devastating to them. Seems to me they are mentally free and that is what its all about isnt it?

• Joker10
    Joker10

Maybe Venus carried the flag because she represented the U.S.?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Flower,

Good for them!! If I was smarter when I was their age I would have told the JW's to take their rules and SHOVE them too!

I agree, I wish I could have been like that. I hope they become role models for new young JW kids. Unless they are rich and famous I doubt many who who copy the sisters Williams will be allowed to stay as good standing JWs...but that is not a bad thing.

3rd

• reboot
    reboot

Joker and flower; I hope you did'nt misunderstand me; I think the Williams' sisters ability to be JW's without apparently, having to stop fulfilling their dreams is a great for them. I'm just disgusted at the two tier system thatseems to exist.

I remember having to sit through talks on patriotism and having the flag singled out as an example of the kind of small act that could cause wars ! We were councelled to not even support nations in the world cup with flags in our houses etc.So it just seems strange to see her with somethingthat other's would be asked about.

I feel sorry for the children who have society-led parents who can see that the Williams' sister's apparent free rein is unfair as they have missed out on the opportunities to be 'normal' at school etc. Iexpect many have had to miss out on once in a life time opportunities as they wiuld'nt be seen as spiritual choices. I just hope the Williams' sisters' actions, which show they can't really believe in the society's dominance over their lives,will send a message to witness children that the organisation has different rules for different people and hopefully that'll lead to more of them leaving.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I just hope they don't end up as screwy as Michael Jackson.

Of course they're black, he's white.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I really like them both. I wish the Williams sisters all the best. I look forward to them being back on tour. They have done a lot for womens tennis. Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit