Remember traveling to the conventions

by Strawberryfieldsforever 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Angharad
    Angharad

I remember traveling to the convention when I was little, but before we left I drank a load of flat coke and promptly threw up all over myself and everyone in the back seat just before we got to the convention

I remember seeing cars passing with magazines or the convention program stuck to the window, but thankfully we never did that in our car

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Oh yes baby, those eight day assemblies were the pits. My mother all she did was bitch and bitch. Dad had to content with her and us girls well I dare say that none of us enjoyed travelling to summer conventions. One of my sisters the middle one was a brat. A real brat.

So dad would start sing kingdom songs and we too had the magizines in the window and we even had them in the window of the car when we were on vacations. The eight day assembly in 1969 was at the "war memorial stadium in dirty buffalo". What a joke we had to get seats by 8am, and be seated for the program to commence around 9am and you go to noon have a meal, and then 12 - 5 sessions and then supper and at 7pm to 9pm. It was very very long. And being 18yrs old was a bore as mom and dad but more mom wouldn't let me leave their side, so I could meet other young witnesses. It was a no no, We came as a family we sat as a family and we ate as a family for nine straight days. It was nauseating to say the least. The seats in the stadium were so hard , your ass was like glued to the chair after the first day never mind the seven more days to come. It would not have been bad really had mom been on pills for her neuorotic behaviour. She was a wreck and I am telling you that we did not cause our mother to be that way, she just couldn't seem to be any other way. She nagged us all. Dad I am sure wished that she would sometimes just shut up. It was like this all the time conventions or vaction mom was a real peach.

My mom didn't know how to relax and have fun. and of course because she was miserable that meant we had to be miserable to just listening to her. I mean we were 4 girls and mom and poor dad. We tried to take as little time as possible to get ready for sessions, but it was never fast enough. Dad would wake up first and go and get us a row of seats as there was tons and tons of seats and then he would come back to the motel and pick us up and even by the time dad came back to get us mom was already a pain. God I hated being with them. I couldn't wait to go away from them a year later in 1970 I was always eager to learn about things going on in the organization and the talks and the new releases. After sessions we would go back to our motel and try and sleep before the next day, it was tough though because dad would get a room with two double beds and a cot. Three of girls slept together and we each took a turn at the cot. I was just exhausted having to listen to my mom bitch and complain. Today I know why she was the way she was , as she was suffering from mental illness but didn't know it. Had she learned to take meds. year and years ago, she would have been alot easier to get along with. But she insisted as the organization persisted in telling people that drugs were an approach to the demons. There was no living with her.

But I must admitt that as the yrs went by and assembly days were shorter it was easier on me. and I did enjoy many a convention.

It is anywonder I survived growing up with my parents. my dad a reformed alcoholic and mom are ex druggie. Oh yes I did forget to tell you that, that prior to becoming JW, my mom took uppers and downers and was also spaced out. She was involved with demonology and lets just say that life was a nightmare. God How the hell did I ever survive, is beyond me.

Well that is my tale of the early times in the organization.

Love Orangefatcat.......

I

• gumby
    gumby
    I would put the Watchtower and Awake mags in the back window to show everyone who we were. ..... I remember years later they said we couldn't do that anymore. Wonder why?

Because too many dubs broke the law by speeding. Also because some dubs cars were to messy, dirty, and not becoming to the Org. The old bastards in the hightower realised too many of their sheep act like goatbastards.

Gumby

• shamus
    shamus

ROFLMAO, Gumby! So true, LOL!

I remember once I couldn't get a room in a city... it was too small. I didn't really want to go anyways, so I said that I couldn't find a room and went hiking instead, LOL!

Being single and leaving the borganization you can do all kinds of weird things.

Like leaving half way through the service meeting to have beers and play pool. When an MS at the time mouthed the words "COME ON" to us while we left, my buddy, who had a pager just lifted up his jacket with a beeper attached to his belt with a BIG GRIN!

You all should have just left.

I remember going to the corner store with all kinds of people during the assemblies. They were so boring and I was so hot we had to do something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit