Use of blood formula as food for calves gets 'mad cow' focus

by Joyzabel 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Use of blood formula as food for calves gets 'mad cow' focus

By Mark Sherman

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - The formula that some farmers feed their dairy calves looks nothing like mother's milk. It's brown and is derived from cattle blood.

"Calves don't care," says Jim Quigley, an executive with an Iowa company that produces a milk substitute given to the calves of dairy cows. Their milk is more valuable when sold for human consumption.

Researchers and consumer advocates increasingly are focusing on animal blood as a possible source of transmission of the range of brain-wasting diseases, including "mad cow."

They contend the use of these protein supplements is a risky gap in the U.S. and Canadian bans on feeding most cattle proteins to other cattle. The bans, which went into place in 1997, are intended to prevent the spread of mad-cow disease, which scientists believe is most likely transmitted through contaminated feed.

"This idea that blood can't transmit this disease is absurd," said John Stauber, co-author of "Mad Cow USA: Could the Nightmare Happen Here?"

The diagnosis last month of a case of the brain-wasting disease in a Washington state cow has brought renewed attention to the issue. U.S. and Canadian officials have pledged to take a renewed look at the use of cattle blood in products consumed by cattle.

"There has been no compelling scientific evidence that blood products pose a threat of transmitting the disease," said Sergio Tolusso, feed program coordinator for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Still, Tolusso said, with the Washington state case and the discovery of mad cow in a Canadian cow in May, "We have to rethink our position and perhaps make a change."

The Food and Drug Administration, which regulates animal feed in the United States, also is re-evaluating its policy. "We will be announcing further steps soon related to the feed ban," the agency's commissioner, Mark McClellan, said Friday.

Scientists have long said it is at least possible that blood can transmit the human version of mad cow disease.

In Great Britain, where mad cow first appeared in the 1980s and people began dying of the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the mid-1990s, surgeons rely on imported blood during operations.

In the United States, people who spent significant time in the United Kingdom and Europe are not permitted to donate blood.

Last month, the British government announced that a man who died from the human form of mad-cow disease may have gotten sick because of a blood transfusion. The man died six years after receiving blood from a donor who later developed the disease, the government said.

British researchers say they also have succeeded in passing along mad-cow disease to animals through blood transfusions from infected animals.

euwwww, formula this is brown.

• Emma
    Emma

Shouldn't witnesses have a problem with this "misuse" of blood? Will they hunt down contaminated beef just like they did candy bars?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Joy2bfree I say your changed your Alias. LOL Well Joyzabel does have a bit more edge to it for sure.

Yeah the blood thing, is a bit nauseating. I posted a similar thread earlier in the month. Kinda makes you think of becoming a vegetarian !

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/64569/1.ashx

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hey xjw_b12,

yes I did change my alias. *snicker* The sassy new self came out and I didn't want any mention of ever belonging to a cult anymore. Also, someone said this name when we were reminiscing on how the elders were always on the look out for the "Jezebel" influence. (Why they would say that in front of me always irked me. hmmmm).

Sorry I missed your earlier thread on the use of blood in cow's feed. This board goes by so fast now. It is hard to keep up.

Emma, lol and keeping up with candy bars were such an issue! LOL

Joy

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Joyzabel,

thanks for the quite interesting information.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Good to see you, Mac!

Ozzie

• ball.
    ball.

In the UK, although use of blood in animal feed is still legal, the practice is almost non-existant due to retailer and public pressure, most of the blood is exported for use as animal feed in other countries, about 80,000 tonnes was being exported in 2000.

Due to firstly the Salmonella outbreak, then BSE, the UK has some of the most stringent rules on food standards in the World, standards which exceed those of the European Union with which we also have to comply with.

I certainly feel safer eating beef here or in Ireland than anywhere else, esp. France, or even the US for that matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit