Kids and meetings

by Stefanie 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I remember when they would discourage kids from taking colors or coloring books to the meetings. So I thought ok, I will give my kid a pen and My book of bible stories to keep him busy. Then they said that was a bad idea because he might write on the furniture and it wasnt good to teach them to write on the WBT publications. I gave him a pencil and paper, then they said its better for him to just listen to the meetings so he wouldnt be distracted. I ask you how was I supposed to keep the 2 year old quiet? Because the second he needed something, and I had to get up people would roll their stupid eyes! This buisness of treating babies like they are supposed to act like adults is messed up.

How did you all keep your babies still and quiet during meetings?

• Badger
    Badger

My ex had a good idea...She cut out all sorts of pics from old magazines...a few bible scenes and a lot of famous buildings, animals, mountains, ships, etc. and made a picture book for our boy. I kept him pretty occupied and entertained.

I'm as entertaining as hell in class, and I can't get 17-year-olds to settle down for a 20-min. lecture. and the WTS expects a 2yo to do the same for 2 hours?

• Angharad
    Angharad

We didnt

We used to sit in the back room and let him sit on the floor with books, pens cars etc, a lot of people didnt approve but I was not going to disipline my 2 year old for acting like a 2 year old and refusing to sit still and read a bible for 2 hours.

If he got really bored, Simon used to take him for a walk in the car park, and quite often over the road to the shop to get some chocolate or something. (I think it was a good excuse for Simon too, as he used to pick him up and walk out with him even if he was quiet )

One time when he was bored and playing up a bit, an elder asked me if I knew how to smack my child ? I nearly smacked him (the elder) in the face at that point !

• Sassy
    Sassy

It was not easy with my last child. The first two were different personalities. I could just LOOK at them and they sat still. The last one, no way.. I used to give them a notebook and pen or pencil. A young child is not going to be able to sit still if they can't have something to do with their idle hands. It is hard enough for us as adults..

I also took a brochure or two and took it apart and laminated the pages so they had a book of their own of sorts to look at.. yet no one could complain about it not being appropriate..

But it's so hard to get the kids to sit still..

One time there was just my family with kids and another in front of us. The WT conductor actually stopped the meeting and gave us a scolding for the noise in the KH. I will never forget his words when he said

if you, brothers and sisters, are going to come to the Kingdom Hall and make this much noise, why do you bother to come at all.

Two families switched cong after that scolding.. We sat there with our mouths open and our jaws on the floor..

Too bad I didn't take him literally then and never bother to come at all..

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I think this organization hates just hates children so freakin much!

I cant believe that elder asked you if you knew how to smack your baby.

They are child abusers.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

oopps double post.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    if you, brothers and sisters, are going to come to the Kingdom Hall and make this much noise, why do you bother to come at all.

Two families switched cong after that scolding.. We sat there with our mouths open and our jaws on the floor..

Wow !!!!!

I would've made so much noise getting the hell outta there..........

• blondie
    blondie

Imagine what would happen if you smacked the elder instead?

Blondie

• pc
    pc

I remember visiting my parents, and they of course they wanted me to go to the book study with them. My first child was about 2 years old at the time. First, when we got there we all had to use the back door, take off our shoes, and walk on the plastic runners. Then during the study my son started getting tired and crying alittle. I decided to take my dad's car and go back to their house. The study conductor was parked behind my dad's car in the driveway.He would not move his car during the study. I had to sit in the car for the next 40 minutes till it was over and "HE" decided to leave. I was so angry I almost could not control myself. I just ranted and ranted at my parents. Another story of the LOVE the JW'S show for children.

PC

• blondie
    blondie

How old were you, pc? Were you ill? Why didn't your parents explain since it seems they had given you permission to leave? Sounds like your parents failed to support you. All the conductor had to do was give the keys to his wife or child with a license.

I find it hard to label this abuse. Frustrating, yes.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit