Flip-flop-flip contradictions. Any other religions you know of guilty of these?

by FatFreek 2005 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, JWs...

...a long and proud tradition.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I am amazed that our group of mostly former JWs has not turned up a single instance, of any so-called Christian Church that shows their church has taught a doctrine or teaching which has reverted to an original position -- flip, flop, flip.

You've done a wonderful job of showing teaching reversals -- contradictions -- but surprising to me, that's it. They mostly, if not all, have stuck to their changes.

I am amazed that we were (and they still are) actually a part of the very worst perpetrators of this practice.

Several days ago an older fellow and his wife were working our neighborhood, passing out invitations to the Memorial. As always I welcomed the opportunity to engage in conversation.

I told him, "many years ago I used to study with you people". Then, I paused.

He couldn't resist as did all of his predecessors, "What caused you to stop studying?"

I countered, "contradictions".

Well, he said, "the governing body is not perfect and they are constantly being shown new light. That means changes. And I suppose there could be contradictions as “The governing body is not perfect”.

I followed, "I can remember that the Catholic church in 1966 reversed their directive and allowed parishioners to eat meat on Fridays. Then, I can also remember Watchtower publications coming down hard on the fact that the Church had reversed itself on something that they had considered a sin."

"Fact is", I followed, "the Catholic church has had two positions on that doctrine over many centuries. Compare that with Watchtower's eleven positions on their teaching of the resurrection of the ancient Sodomites – over only 140 years."

I concluded, "I'm in no way defending Catholics here, but don't you find it strange that Watchtower plays the imperfect card when it comes to their own contradictions but never excuses other religions for theirs?"

He left with his mouth hanging open.

I wish I'd had the chance to share the following quote from a 1981 Watchtower, which denies that they'd ever had 360 degree teaching reversals.

“At times explanations given by Jehovah’s visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case.” The Watchtower (WT), 1981, 12/1 p. 27

There's a fitting phrase my kids used when they were little, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!?

I wished I could have shared the exact Watchtower pub quotes where they've changed their mind eleven times on their teaching of the resurrection of the ancient Sodomites.

Len Miller

• blondie
    blondie

Len, I was never a part of any other religion but had intense association with Mormons living in a town 3/4s Mormons all hell bent on converting me, such as the quotes. I think most of my links are by ex-Mormons who would have a clearer insight than me an ex-jw.

As to the 360 turns the WTS has made, the WTS always has a way to say it was not the same, such as the WTS teaching about the superior authorities being

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/superior-authorities.php

The understanding of the “Superior Authorities” of Romans13:1 is a teaching where Watchtower doctrine has see-sawed back and forth in clear violation of the principle of the light getting brighter.

Up to 19291929 to 19621962 onwards
    “Evil as these Gentile governmentshave been, they were permitted or “ordained of God” for a wise purpose. (Rom. 13:1)” Studies In the Scriptures Series I - The Divine Plan of the Agesp.250“The Superior Authorities are the Most High God Jehovah and his exalted Son Jesus Christ.” This Means Everlasting Life(1950) p.197“The Expression “superior authorities” means the political governments or authorities.” Life everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God(1966) p.189

Read the whole article on jwfacts to see how the WTS has danced around and used the lie of omission to conceal that the WTS did not teach that Jehovah and Jesus were the superior authorities before 1929.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/superior-authorities.php

Considering the WTS has been so sly to conceal their changes, I can understand why someone outside the walls of another religion might not be so up to date on any flip flop flip back doctrines.

Sorry I posted these on another OP

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Very good research, Blondie. Thank you so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit