Political Correctness and Censorship / Banning Books

by TerryWalstrom 22 Replies latest jw friends

• em1913
    em1913

I think there's a big difference between actual censorship and not teaching a book in a class. When you're taking books off library shelves and burning them for political reasons -- as was done in the United States during the 1950s -- that's censorship. If a teacher chooses not to teach "Huckleberry Finn," that doesn't affect my ability to reach for my own copy and read it any time I want to . I have "Mein Kampf" on my shelf (right next to Marley Cole's "JWs The New World Society," ha ha ha) and can read it any time I want to. I used to have Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" on my shelf until I read it and realized how much it sucked, so I threw it away. That's not censorship, that's having good taste in fiction.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

redvip2000 - I wouldn't dream of stopping him.
    em1913 - agree totally.
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I'm not sure very many students even READ A BOOK at all any longer. I'm serious.
    The smartphones and tablets have probably made much of private reading of Literature obsolete (not that it was ever THAT popular among kids).

I think most Censorship comes from peremptory calls for shutdown and blocking on social sites, Twitter, YouTube, Patreon, etc.

The idea that we need a bureaucracy to determine which speech is free only creates a worse problem: WHO makes those determinations?
    Bureaucracy multiplies ad nauseum and you'd never muster more than a 50/50 vote--so it would be summarily executed by one political ideology over another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit