Demons

by finnrot 20 Replies latest jw friends

• finnrot
    finnrot

When I was a kid I was scared shitless of demons. A couple of years ago I posted this subject, and some asswipes just suggested that I was just a scared little boy and that I should have just kept a stiff upper lip.

I was raised in this crappy religion and I recall that from the very beginning, I was told that demons were always around me. I remember as a young child, I was told of stories of children that would go to bed and feel the edge of their bed go down slowly as a demon sat on the edge of the bed, ready to do whatever eveil they had planned for the evening. I always heard these stories at the Kingdom Hall. (Circa 1960's to 1970's) It doesn't matter who told me these stories, what is important to a little kid that is lying in a dark room, is that his parents wouldn't bring you to a place full of liars and phychopaths.

I used to lie in my bed and feel the edge of my bed go down as a demon sat on the end of my bed. I was scared shitless. I got my mom to buy me a cap, and I would sleep with the blankets over my head and my wool cap pulled over my eyes. It was a horrible dark experience every night as I tried to go to sleep, with a demon sitting on the edge of my bed.

I was raised to feel that demons were all around me every day, and that they would "demonize" you if you even thought the wrong thoughts.

Does anybody out there relate to my story??.. Was I uinque???.. Was I just a girley boy???.. Or have the Witnesses changed, and they aren't spreading stories about demons invading your every thought to little children??

• shamus
    shamus

Hmmm... first off, I love your avatar! Yumm!

As per demons, when you're little, you can imagine things like crazy. What seems like absolute proof is, indeed, not sometimes. Only you know if it was real or not... not just your imagination. Were your sheets just slipping off your bed??? That does happen....

Demon stories were rampant when I was in the lie. They also pissed me off, because 90 percent of the time it was so evident that they were bullshit that I wanted to smack the person across the face and walk away.

• Been there
    Been there

I still have to have a light on at night (TV). I still have to force myself to go into a dark room. I was terrified of the demons and armageddon and I wasn't real thrilled with the idea of being tortured for my beliefs while growing up either. I played fearless with my kids though because I did'nt want them to have the same fears.

• kls
    kls

I was a sixteen year's old when i got into the cult.At eighteen (married) i knew this so called crap was wrong.When i told my husband i wanted no part of it he told me i was being taken over by demons.For months i would have nightmares in bed .I could not move or speak , i felt my hole body was being taken over .You are and were not being a baby ,the jws use demons to scare their mindcontrolled flock .It is a scare tatctic to keep them submissive.The jws blame everything on demons instead of them blaming themselves for the wrong they have done,no matter how petty.It took years for me to learn it was all in my head and it was not demons but my own mind ,if i was a very small child like many on this forum who were raised in the cult ,well ,i can't even imagine how scared i would have been.I hope now youre demon scares are gone because once they are so are the threats of being a jw. KLS

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

Oh yeah me too I heard that crap and was scared shitless too man. I read babies heads being twisted around till they broke and beds being pushed up to the top of the room ectoplazum coming out of your nose and all kinds of crap. Its was enough to make me sweat under the sheets all night long.

• Gopher
    Gopher

This controlling religion used scary bugaboos and irrational fears (like demons and/or apostates aroiund every corner) to help scare their followers into submission.

Irrational fear of enemies is used in times of war (like how nations learn to lump their enemy together into one ugly caricature) and in theocratic warfare (lying) used by Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Joysome
    Joysome

Well it was never quite like that. I never was afraid of the demons in that sense. Never thought they were in my room. But if I saw a movie I shouldn't have been watching. Then I was afraid and I would pray and I would feel better.

P.S. As you guys can tell from my posts. I'm the most confused chica on the planet.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I think many of us can relate to your story. My parents used the "demon card" to scare me on many occasions. I can even remember my brother relating stories when he was older about his clock being demonized and stupid stuff like that. He believed it.

Well - I was afraid of demons, and armageddon, and all that stuff. But as I learned the truth about the org those things faded away along with any guilt I had over leaving.

I believe that demons, evil spirits, whatever they are.....only have as much power as you give them. Just like your fears and your nightmares - when you confront the siutation and show light on it the boogie man fades.

• shamus
    shamus

Actually, demons tell me what to do. I'm "apostate", LOL!

• finnrot
    finnrot

I notice the younger members weren't so scared shitless as old farts... I guess they have toned down their demonic scare stories...At the time I was raised a Witness during the 60's and the early 70's, they were sure that Armageddon was just months or even days away. If you don't beleive that, then you didn't live it.

When I was growing up in the Kindom Hall in the 60's there was an excited buzz going on, that Armageddon was going to happen any second. I remember hearing as a child, that if Armageddon happened while you were doing something bad, or were even thinking something impure, you would just be wiped out of existence. Not tortured, just that you would never have existed. To a little kid, that was devastating!!

So I think that the people that are over 40 can relate to the scared little child that was me, and the younger people can't quite relate. I'm sure that you were and are screwed up just like me, but us older generation have our own little space of screwed upness..

I am 45 years old and i just can't relate to my fellow man. As much as I want to belong, I just don't seem to quite fit in. I'm a great guy, and the sweetest fellow you ever want to meet, but I am always the odd man out. I hate it, but that's just the way it is. I just can't relate to normal people that were raised in a normal social situation.

As an example. I had to sit down during the flag salute every morning. Talk about starting off your socialization with your peers as the geek who sits down during the flag salute!!!. Kids are cruel, and they will focous on the weakest, and the the geek that stands out in the crowd.

When everybody in class was singing Christmas Carols in the cafeteria, I was the only loser that was sitting all alone in his empty class because Jehovah didn't want me to participate.

Things might be different now for the J.W. children growing up, but when I was growing up, it was demons to the left and demons to the right. I was just a young stupid kid that believed all the stupid scary fables that I was made to listen to three times a week at those long boring meetings.

The funny thing was, that I never got baptised. Even as a kid, I always had the niggling feeling that this was all bullshit. I was still scared shitless of demons, but I had the feeling in the back of my mind that this was all bullshit, and that we just lived and died and the worms just ate us when all was said and done.

Now that I am an adult, I still fear Jehovah (I will always fear Him) , but I am sure that we just live and die and that the worms just eat us when all is said and done.

-fin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit