FLAT TAX

by Yerusalyim 49 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

How about not taxing corporations? Corporations don't pay taxes, consumers do. When a corporation is taxed, the prices of goods are raised. Corporations don't just reduce their margins so they won't have to pass the cost on to the consumer.

Just a thought.

rem

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Azlo,

I'm not saying your wrong about the "social services" versus "corporate welfare" but I'd like to see the numbers. Some would suggest things like the bail out of Chrystler was both...it saved jobs, and retirement plans as well as the company.

I'm not a big proponent of the sales tax...I would say it should be for luxury items only.

It's just not right to expect someone whose made more money to pay a larger percentage of that money in taxes. That hurts the economy because they try to find ways to hide their money rather than making that money work for them.

For those who seem to want to punish the rich...how many here have been hired by someone who is poor?

You are correct though, my German friend pays just under 50% of his income in taxes...and that's without paying the 7% church tax. God forbid this ever happen to us.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

There will never be a flat tax in this country because taxes is the only way politicians have to control us. They punish us by raising taxes to cover their pork barrel spending and when relection time is up they can find surpluses to lower our taxes or give refunds. I can never understand a human being who would vote for a political canditate whi says he's against lowering taxes and thinks we need to raise them.

I would vote for Osama Bin Laden for US president if he promised to lower my taxes!

• Navigator
    Navigator

Rem is right about Corporations not paying tax. A corporation is a legal fiction. They treat taxes as a business expense. The politicians love the idea of taxing the corporations more since it is an indirect form of taxation that folks like Azalo don't even know they are paying. Azalo is right, however, about the Corporate welfare. That needs to stop. Can you spell Political Lobby? Some countries rebate the taxes to their corporations on products they sell overseas. Ever wonder how Japan can undersell us on products right here in our own country? Ever wonder why so many International corporations are exporting so many jobs overseas? It is not just for cheap labor. I like the idea of a flat tax. It surely would put a lot of accountants out of business, however.

• Azalo
    Azalo

here are a couple of links about corporate welfare, there are tons of them on the net just google "corporate welfare"

http://www.ctj.org/html/corp0402.htm

as far as the argument that taxes are "punishing" the rich for their success, answer this. what is the primary purpose of an organized government? Is it not to protect the interests of wealthy people? Who set up the first governments and why? the owners of land and capital to protect their property from peasants. OK so what about social welfare, if government is just there to protect the interests of the wealthy than why have welfare? By making sure poor people have the bare minimum to survive on you ensure that they dont just take what they dont have and need, after all the survival instinct is the strongest one we possess. Why can a rich person steal a million dollars from their company and only get a slap on the wrist, yet a poor person who robs a 7-11 for $100 will get 10 yrs or more? this wasnt just an oversight I assure you.

• donkey
    donkey

I pay 10% taxes on the money I make on Mondays..

I pay 20% taxes on the money I make on Tuesdays...

I pay 30% taxes on the money I make on Wednesdays...

I pay 40% taxes on the money I make on Thursdays...

I pay 50% taxes on the money I make on Fridays...

...think I'll just take Friday's off!!!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I like the idea of a government setting a 'minimum income'.

Anyone earning less than this would get benefit to that point. Anyone earning above that would be taxed on the excess. There would obviously be qualifiers to be eligible to receive benefit, and likewise, dependants would increase your minimum income.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    Rem is right about Corporations not paying tax.

I beg to differ on this. I own my own corporation and I most definitely paid taxes last year! Anyone who tries to convince the public that corporations do not pay taxes is disseminating false information at best.

growedup

• rem
    rem

Growedup,

Of course I realize that corporations are charged taxes, but that doesn't mean that your corporation is actually paying them. Depending on the size of your corporation, either you personally or your customers are actually paying the tax. Larger corporations definitely move the tax burden off to their customers, which means you as a consumer are paying a hidden tax because prices are higher than they would be without taxing the corporation.

I'm not sure if it would all even out in a different way if corporations weren't taxed, but I do think it is a sneaky way of taxation.

rem

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

imallgrowedup, I gotta say, it bugs me that rem made an intelligent, honest point, and you didn't even seem to try to understand what that point was.

The Taxes Filed thread got me to thinking....what say we here in the US go to a Flat Tax....18% for those who make over $35,000 a year...no deductions. Hmmmmm?

I don't know Yeru. Sell me on it. Does the math work out, or not? I'm all for simplification, but pesky little things like dependents really do need to be accounted for as well.

One thing is for sure, the tax code could be simplified greatly, and loopholes should be gone for good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit