Can "Disassociated" ex-jw's be "reinstated" back as jw's?

by jads 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jads
    jads

I was shocked one day when I was talking to a friend of mine who "disassociated" himself from the WT in the mid-80's and was heavy in the "apostate movement". He told me that he is thinking about going back to the JW's and be "reinstated" but he was not sure if "disassociated" ex-jw's could be reinstated. I thought he was joking at first because he was one of the people that helped me out of the WT. After I realized that he was serious I asked him why would he want to go back? He told me that the churches have nothing to offer and they are so full of hyprocrites. He said he know that JW's have many skeletons also but he feels that maybe they are the truth. If anybody has "disassociated" themselves out there and tried to be reinstated tell me what happens so I can tell my "disassociated" friend. I don't want to hear from Disfellowshipped ex-jw's because my friend says that most of DF'd people were DF'd for immorality and Disassociated people left over doctrinal issues.Again my question is can Disassociated people get reinstated or what do they call it "reassociation" let me know.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I have heard of ones who DA'd themselves going back. My guess is you would have to prove yourselves even more so that someone to 'errored in imperfection of giving into a weakness' though.. I guess it all depends on where they think your head was at when you dissassociated yourself.. if you were thinking straight, knew what you were doing, etc.. I would bet you have to be attending meetings, etc longer before the let you back in to make sure you are sincere..

• joenobody
    joenobody

Was it Psalms that talked about the dogs that "returned to their own vomit?"

• Joysome
    Joysome

I just wanted to say something about the comment that those that were DF'd for immoral reasons. Just because someone gets df'd it's not just because of the fact that couldn't control their impluses. Sometimes it's their way out. Sometimes they just realize that they can't live the life of being a JW anymore. It could be several different things. So don't just presume it's due to some weakness or etc. Sorry just wanted to clarify that.

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes they can, u are viewed more suspiciously, but it is possible and has been done.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Good point Joysome. Everyone has their own way of doing it.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I would add to what Joysome said... plenty of people are Df'ed for doctrinal reasons; look at Ray Franz, and the many people he talks about in his book. I know several on this board who were df'ed for doctrinal reasons.

As far as the original question, the Flock book, page 102, says:

If one disassociates himself and later wants to return to the congregation, he must request a hearing for reinstatement, the same as one who has been disfellowshipped.
  • Sassy
    Sassy
    Just because someone gets df'd it's not just because of the fact that couldn't control their impluses. Sometimes it's their way out. Sometimes they just realize that they can't live the life of being a JW anymore.

Joysome, I hope you do not think that I mean that is the only reason one gets dfd... I quit (and could be dfd if they ever bothered to contact me) for the very same reason. I just couldn't live the life any more.. Please do not take what I said wrong from my point of view. I was only speaking about prejudgments on the minds of Active JWs.. which I am not.

I just meant that there is a judgement in their minds.. it is easier for one to accept that you might have given in to a weakness, than that you out and out didn't want to be a JW. My mother thinks I quit because I have a 'worldly/non JW' boyfriend. She thinks that because she choses too, it is easier to accept I had to have a MAN even though I told her it had nothing to do with him.. that in fact I made my choice to quit before I even met him. My decision had nothing to do with dating or needing any thing except my freedom. But her truth to her is I weakened out of loneliness.. which couldn't be farther from the truth.

I still think you have to prove more sincereity to get back in. People are afraid what we have is contagious that we chose on purpose to quit.. they will want to make sure those are for real if they try to go back.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just like anybody else, your friend can ask an elder about reinstatement and sign up for a book study. He will have to attend ALL meetings (no breaks), undertake any assignments given him, and tolerate the shunning during the reinstatement process. If all your friends sees out in the "world" is hypocrites and sinners, perhaps the WTBTS is the best place for him. I know he would be a killjoy where I live.

• Joysome
    Joysome

Sassy. My mom feels the same way. I think the reason I got defensive is because that's what people think. That I just couldn't control my emotions. Or that I just wanted and needed a man so much that I would go through any means to do so. I'm single right now and I'm not trying to go back. I guess that's why I said that. It is so frustrating to try to explain to people especially family members why you've left or haven't tried to go back. Sorry for getting defensive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit