What is the strangest thing said in service?

by codeblue 10 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

During the month of December, the usual offer is the "My Book of Bible Stories. Well, I was paired up with an elderly sister. After presenting the book she concluded by saying: "This would make a NICE Christmas gift"...I almost fell off the porch. I wanted to laugh but couldn't in front of the householder or herself. I waited till she wasn't around to tell others in the car group and my family....they got a kick out of it too.

Codeblue

• blondie
    blondie

She was only follow the following suggestions:

*** km 12/99 2 Service Meeting Schedule ***

Week Starting December 13

Song 168

min: Local announcements. Accounts report. Offer suggestions on how to respond tactfully to holiday greetings. If the congregation has copies of the Greatest Man or Great Teacher books in stock, show how they can be used to good advantage in the ministry during the Christmas holidays.

*** km 12/98 2 Service Meetings for December ***

Week Starting December 14

Song 206

min: Local announcements. Accounts report. Offer suggestions on how to respond tactfully to worldly holiday greetings. If the congregation has copies of the Greatest Man or Great Teacher books in stock, show how they can be used to good advantage in the ministry during the Christmas holidays. Outline special field service arrangements for December 25 and January 1.
  • codeblue
    codeblue

Interesting info Blondie, but this happened in 1987. I had never heard any comment on the platform about that aspect of the holiday season in 1987...and I was a die hard JW then.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

lol That reminds of me of when I went out in service with an elderly sister. The householder was sick or something and the sister said before we left "good luck".

It was funny as well.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

That also reminded me of another elderly sister who was complaining about the last person she went out in service with. She said they had bad breath, so she asked if they had crap on their shoes. They didnt!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I think if you don't celebrate Christmas, then wouldn't it be "wrong" to suggest that they take a book as a Christmas present to give? Sounds hypocritical to me.

• luna
    luna

Strangest thing I ever heard was:

"Do you want to skip the doughnut break, and go to a few more Not at Homes?"

Yeah....that was pretty strange....

• joenobody
    joenobody

Luna - I used to hate those zealous ones who would decide that despite the freezing 30 below temperature that since they didn't need a break, no one else should take one - esp. the ones that weren't driving! I used to love working with the bookstudy conductor. It basically consisted of staying in the car and "driving around supervising the others". Nice and warm!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It was probably "We accept voluntary donations", but they forgot to say "but if you don't donate anything, the money comes out of my pocket".

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm agreeing with Sassy, it may be Ironic, but not necessarily wrong to make the suggestion of the book as a Christmas gift, but could you imagine the explanation necessary if that "householder" (gads I hate that term) became a Dub. "What daya mean we don't celebrate Christmas? When I received this book from Sister Sellsalot she said it would make a great Christmas gift."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit