Question about Judical committees

by scrubmaster 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• scrubmaster
    scrubmaster

I meant my friend and his wife.....

• simplesally
    simplesally

But you said that YOUR wife is involved in this committee meeting? Sorry, I am confused.....

• core
    core
    And no, you cannot request a different committee

SOme years ago elders were told at a KMS that if anyone objected to a member / members of a JC then the committee should be changed - object in writing, being polite but forceful. Indicate you know you are entitled to a committee of independent, unbiased brothers and you will not meet with a committee which is not unbiased or has some involvement which reflects on its judgement.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"And no, you cannot request a different committee....... they would see that as handpicking your committee, hence assuring yourselves vindicated."

Yes you can. As the last person wrote, the possibility is open. I was asked whom did I want to sit in the committee. When I named three persons, my PO replied that two of them were OK, but he thought the third one was a bit harsh, so he would recommend another one. Which I did.

The next time, though, .............. I did not even get to know what was I accused of till we sat down, and the boss introduced himself as the "chief inquisitor". Remembering what the Spanish inquisition used to be like, I found that a rather strange introduction. But he lived up to it ................

• loveis
    loveis

RE: Requesting a different committee makeup, I believe you can find something about this in writing in the September 1977 KM (USA edition), main insert.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 9/77 p. 6 New Arrangements for Congregation Organization ***

There may be rare occasions when one or more of those involved claim that a judicial committee member is partial. If this happens prior to the actual proceedings, the body of elders will consider whether there is any substance to such claim. Proverbs 24:23 says: "The showing of partiality in judgment is not good." Therefore, it is left to the local body of elders to decide whether a change in the makeup of the committee would be necessary. Elders related to an accused one or who have been in business together or who have had a special friendship would not normally serve on the judicial committee where there are other qualified brothers available. Each one should conscientiously feel that he can serve without partiality.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Note that the concept of "double jeopardy" is apparently of pagan origin.

True Christians flee from such abominations.

• sandy
    sandy
    There may be rare occasions when one or more of those involved claim that a judicial committee member is partial.

Would if the elder has been know to share information about the accused/sinner to other members of the congregation in the past? Can you in this instance request a different elder?

I was afraid for a particular elder to sit in on my jc meeting because I knew for a fact that he gossiped to his family members as well as others within the congregation about those involved in jc meetings.

I was a good jw anyway and didn't complain. But he opened his big fat mouth. No surprise there.

• blondie
    blondie

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the 3 elders on the JC wouldn't have told him everything anyway. They have this little unwritten rule that they can tell each other about judicial matters as long as they don't use the names. But they give enough details that you have to be a total idiot not to know who they are talking about, Sandy.

Blondie (been there)

• scrubmaster
    scrubmaster

We also know how man can not sometimes resist pillow talk -- Some people feel it is fun to put other peoples business out there for all to hear. Remember for some strange reason people like to talk about the bad things people do -- but when a person is doing well under difficult circumstances -- they forget to run around and praise this person

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit