THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

by moses 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• moses
    moses

I WAS WONDERING IF THE WITNESSES STILL GET TOGETHER AND STUDY THE WATCHTOWER AS A GROUP BEFORE THE SUNDAY MEETINGS I REMEMBER IN THE OLD DAYS THIS WAS VERY COMMON, ALSO PICNICS AT THE FOREST PRESERVES EVRYBODY SEEMED TO BE UPBEAT HELPING EACH OTHER OUT WITH EITHER RIDES TO THE MEETINGS OR WEDDING AND BABY SHOWERS .OTHER THAN THE HASSEL WE GOT AT SCHOOL THINGS WEREN'T THAT BAD. I HAVEN'T BEEN TO A MEETING FOR AWHILE AND WAS WONDERING IF IT IS ALL THE SAME.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Sounds like you may have had a good congregation, compared to most. I have not heard of that kind of togetherness in a long time. I think this example is extreme, and certainly not the norm.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Never happened in any congregation I was associated with. For awhile they had some sort of get-togethers, but then the elders said no more because someone might get carried away and do something wrong. They said it took away from the seriousness of studying.

Just a word of advice, please don't use all caps when you type, its very hard to read and for the most part looks like you're shouting.

Thanks!

Gretchen

• moses
    moses

Sorry Gretchen I guess my typing skills can use some improvement. Freedom by the way I am going back in the early 1970s they had some nice get togethers and we all thought armaggedon was right around the corner.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Yeah, I used to study with a group every Wednesday evening. We would usually have a meal before hand, and sometimes we would go out for pizza. During these studies, people were a little more relaxed and would cut up and tease.

For awhile they had some sort of get-togethers, but then the elders said no more because someone might get carried away and do something wrong.

And yet here is a perfect example of the absurdity of their beliefs. So people shouldn't get together because they might do something wrong? LOL! Using that line of thinking, I guess they shouldn't have meetings at the hall either, because some kid might throw up all over the rug, or somebody might blurt out something inappropriate during the Watchtower study, or people might fall asleep during a talk.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I became a JW in 1971. There weren't any pre-WT study groups. But a lot of emphasis on families studying the WT beforehand.

Some years later the congregation would hire a school hall and we would have a "barn dance" social. Then this was put a stop to as large gatherings were not recommended as Elders could not keep an eye on everyone. So smaller get togethers were advised of about no more than 12 people, but must include an Elder.

Recently I have heard that young JW's have been arranging secret get togethers (raves?) at various places in the area and around places in Britain.

I have heard that they can have as many as 400 in attendance. Anyone else heard of these.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Moses, for me I can remember the late Forties, yeah, and the world was going to end soon. The further back in time we go things were much, much different.

Guest 77

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

What I can perceive in my cong is that everybody is busy with their own lives, fending for themselves if you will.

Just a week ago or so, this sister was complaining to my hubby and I that she's about to move some place else because there was no love and no one cared in our KH, that no one gave words of encouragement or visited one another.

Actually, the reason why many JWs seem not to care for the cong I attend is the very reason why I love it: Everybody is into their own affairs and leave me the heck alone!

DY

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I used to get together with a few of my single friends and study the watchtower...we had fun, always got off track, but the main focus was fellowship for us.

I did go to quite a few get togethers and picnics..they would even regularly pitch in and rent out a local middle school that was across the street from one of the sisters...it was mostly for square dances, especially after we had a talk about wordly dancing hahah...but sometimes the kids would put on a talent show.

I did enjoy it

• franklin J
    franklin J

I was a full time pioneer in the middle 1970s, and yes, I remember getting all the "Young people" together to prepare for the sunday Watchtower study. We would meet at someones house and prepare as a group, and usual have a small social event afterward; or go to a movie afterward.

Since I was a pioneer, I was expected to take the lead with other kids my age and younger to "Set a good theocratic expample". I took it seriously and we did many things together, besides meetings and field service. There were several of us younger people and we did give rides to others; along with some social fun things also. Unfortunately, none of these old "friends" will acknowlegde me now; much less talk to me.

So what to do? I went out and made all NEW friends and the FUN WE HAVE can just not compare to any of that theocratic nonsense. Needless to say, I do not miss them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit