Someone posted the Theocratic Ministry School on the WEB

by shotgun 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gordy
    Gordy

One little thing I noticed I don't see any song numbers on the postings.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Elderwho and Richie

I can not find anything on this L Reinhardt guy they quote, a couple obscure comments about him, but nothing really.

I find that alot with there quotes, they often search the world over to find someone who agree's with them and then make it sound like it's an obvious conclusion to come to... why there are many noted scholars who feel the same way as we do.... when in fact this is a virtually unknown person in whatever field they are discussing.

On a sidenote I'm starting a another thread on comments made in the Dec 1 2003 WT pg 10 on this very subject.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

How can you gain their warm friendship? The requirements for being a guest in Jehovah?s tent as one of his friends are outlined in Psalm 15. Look it up in the Bible, and read the five verses of that psalm. Additionally, Jesus Christ said: ?You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.??John 15:14.

Interesting...if you do not obey me you are not my friend...yeah, that doesnt work for me. Kind of harsh requirement of for friendship...I can see your boss saying that, but not a true friend...

• blondie
    blondie

yb87 pp. 122-123 Switzerland and Liechtenstein

Although the truths being taught by Brother Russell greatly disturbed many clergymen, there were some who sympathized with his efforts to bring accurate knowledge of the Bible to the fore. One of them was Ludwig Reinhardt. In 1877 he published in German a translation of "The New Testament" that is noteworthy for rendering Luke 23:43 as follows: "And Jesus said to [the evildoer]: Truly I say to you today: You will be with me in Paradise." In correspondence with a Bible Student in 1908, this Protestant minister wrote: "So you see I know the ?Millennial-Dawn-Movement? very well and warmly appreciate the lively and self-sacrificing devotion of Bro. C. T. Russell and all of his associates . . . As I am very keen to eliminate as many inaccuracies as I can and to publish a translation as faithful and as exact as possible, I would be very grateful to you and to Bro. Russell if you would note all the points you object to in my translation."

• VM44
    VM44

In correspondence with a Bible Student in 1908, this Protestant minister wrote:

"....As I am very keen to eliminate as many inaccuracies as I can and to publish a translation as faithful and as exact as possible, I would be very grateful to you and to Bro. Russell if you would note all the points you object to in my translation ."

What??!!!!

Did this man know who he was writing to? C.T. Russell didn't know greek, and he wasn't too sure even about the greek alphabet! (as he testified in Court once) And this guy wants Russell'a advice on making a faithful and exact translation?

Russell wrote once in the Watchtower that knowing the original Bible languages was not necessary as there many translations available a person could use in order to understand the meaning contained in the original languages the Bible was written in.

If Ludwig Reinhardt asked for translation comments from a person as unqualified as CTR, it makes one wonder from what other "experts" he also asked for comments, and how many of these "scholarly" comments made their way into his final work.

Doctrinal beliefs should not be relied upon in Biblical translation!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Also,

One of them was Ludwig Reinhardt. In 1877 he published in German a translation of "The New Testament" that is noteworthy for rendering Luke 23:43 as follows: ...

Why does the Watchtower have to go back to 1877 in order to get support for their translation? In fact, having to go back so far for support in itself casts doubt on the WT translation, considering all the advances that must have been made in tranelation during the last hundred years.

Perhaps the Watchtower Corporation should pay for some of their people to be trained in biblical languages, instead of paying for the education of all those lawyers they want!

--VM44

P.S. They certainly like to use references from the late 19th century! They are preferred as the authors are long gone and cannot contest how their works are being quoted, and, as a plus benifit, the works are so hard to find, few people can find them to check what is really written in the original!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit