Parents Implanting GPS Tracking Devices In Their Kids' Cellphones

by SYN 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• SYN
    SYN

Very disturbing indeed! What does JWD think of this new trend?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think there are pro's and cons.

For me, if I put one on my kids phone, I would hope it were for their safety, not because I don't trust them.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

What is this nonsensical attitude held that seems to support the ludicrous notion that teenagers have some inherent right to go someplace without their parents knowing? My kid gets a cell phone (they won't) they get the GPS tracking if I can afford it.

I'm sure Dru Sjodin's parents wish that her cell phone had GPS tracking...for that matter, I'm sure Dru herself wishes (or wished) it.

Look folks, common sense, in this age when a teen could get from NYC to LA in 5 hours, or turn up missing in 5 minutes...this stuff makes sense.

This so called invasion of privacy would have to be predicated on the idea that a teenager somehow has an inherent right to have a cell phone, or to be places without their parents knowing...both ideas are false. Besides...I wonder who's paying for the cell phone.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Time to pull the batteries out of the phone.

If they don't like that... then they can keep the damn phone and watch their own little blue dot on the screen.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

FYI, SYN, we already had a thread about this...

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

When I first saw this topic, I thought it was absolutely ludicrous, but I think Yerusaliym makes a good point. I think we are so wrapped up in our notion of freedom that we take it way too far sometimes. Granted, a teenager should have some freedom and privacy, but ultimately, he or she is still living under his or her parents roof. That means the parents are paying for their teen's clothes, food, etc. etc.

Sort of off the subject, but I don't know how many people I've talked to who live at home who think they are independent just because they have a part time job. Um, it doesn't work that way people. Anybody can live at home and hold a part time job, where your parents are still paying for housing, the biggest expense, food, utilities, etc. I think people have taken this notion of independence way out of hand. I think we're so spoiled with it that we think these freedoms are inherent, but they actually have to be earned.

• SYN
    SYN

Having been a teenager very recently myself, I have two points:

1. I bought & paid for my own phone.

2. Having someone tracking me just seems like such a Gestapo tactic to me.

Whatever happened to parents trusting their kids?

Although I can really see how some families would find this a Godsend. Just for me, in particular, it would've caused MAJOR strife. I hate the feeling of being controlled in anyway! That's what you get after spending the lion's share of your life in a CULT!

On a lighter note, I'm sure the Elders will be requesting that Publishers have these in their phones any day now. You know, to make sure they don't transgress into "forbidden zones", e.g. strip clubs. Or to see exactly how much time they spend in the Field. Hey, it would be a great way for Ministerial Servants to make sure that all of the territory was being worked

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Whatever happened to parents trusting their kids?

God I wish my parents had tracked me a bit more. They trusted me, and being the average teen I was...I TOOK ADVANTAGE of that trust.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

having been the victim of controlling parents I can tell you that trying to control your teenagers every move and giving them no freedom leads to one thing - rebellion. I had to be in at 11 on my 18th birthday and wasn't supposed to be drunk.I didn't and I was and got grounded, 2 months later I got my own apartment and was df'd the following month. Upshot of my parents control? Point to me, nada to them. I still got up to just as much throughout my teenage years, i was just a hell of alot more cunning and sneaky about it.

I've talked at length about this with my wife as we are planning on starting a family this year. For us we are planning to stress personal responsibility to our kids. Throughout my teenage years I felt so pissed off at being constantly dictated to I deliberately did stupid irresponsible things just to get on my parent's nerves, especially after my mum died as my father was a prick. Point being is that if my parents had been reasonable then so would I , I would have also developed greater maturity and responsibility rather than dicking around just to piss them off.

Parenting is obviously a personal thing and as I don't have kids yet I would never criticise anyone else's choices. This is just my 2 penneth.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    They trusted me, and being the average teen I was...I TOOK ADVANTAGE of that trust

Yeah, but you turned out ok... or would you beg to differ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit