The brother at the door

by days of future passed 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I got up late today. I hear the doorbell ring and I go - not really dressed for company - I stand back and see a JW man maybe 60 years old or so.

At first I was just going to brush him off. I told him I'm not presentable and he asked if he could come back in a few minutes.

I said my mother is a JW witness and I've been raised as one - until my Brother in law found out about how the jw's really deal with pedophiles in the congregation. He came back with how the organization in their publications, are very strong against pedophiles. I said they don't tell others about it in the congregation. I said the ARC investigation showed they had over 1,000 cases that were never reported to the police. That means the police don't know to be able to protect others.

By this time, I was getting emotional. I said I saw Jeffrey Jackson lie to the commission, I know because I've been a witness for years (tho not baptized) so I know he was lying. I told him to look it up himself. He said I had all the wrong information.

I said after that I looked up what the bible said and what they said and they were wrong.

He says It sounds like you don't have any respect for the organization.

I said I don't. They let pedophiles stay in the congregation. And something about God not approving of it.

He said I will leave you to your opinion.

Of course, this isn't word for word. He said he had been in the organization for 30 years so he knew what was true about it. Yeah, just wait till it all blows up.

The upside is, he isn't going to come back.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Respect for the organization, he tried to shame you and act superior to you rather than admit the Governing Body's despicable cover-up, which he could investigate himself if he let himself thunk for himself for two minutes.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I felt a little bad afterwards because I wanted to keep it cool. But on the other hand, he thought I was just mistaken and mislead (my assumption) but not a bitter apostate. So maybe, just maybe, the information will pop up in his mind when he hears about other things.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

You never know. Sometimes you take the right approach by getting passionate, it makes you sound like you mean what you say.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED:

I don’t think you did too badly.

It doesn’t sound like you were cruel or hostile to the brother but just telling him the truth about the scandals in the religion. Many JWs are in a news blackout and have little to no knowledge about these lawsuits.

You can’t help if you have no ‘respect’ for the organization. That’s his sacred cow and he probably can’t deal with that and so he left you to your opinion which you are entitled to have.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Why would you or anybody else for that matter .

And then he said I will leave you to your opinion without even trying to reason with you or give an explanation of some sort however futile .

And he has been in the organization for thirty years ?

It just goes to show you how far they have sunk as "witnesses"

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

This is how it is. We did the same, once in field service. Because we thought it was right. Don’t blame the man. He doesn’t know better.

G.

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

Well, you know how it is. Jehovah’s Witnesses are only to read things that come from JW.Org. JW.Org is not going to report facts about child sex abuse that has occurred inside the organization. They just paint themselves as taking appropriate measures in order to prevent child sex abuse and they paint a picture as having appropriate policy and procedures in place in regards to handling child sex abuse once they know that it has occurred.

In addition, if a witness were to question anything negative about the organization, they are labeled an apostate. Therefore, I am not surprised about the witness’ reaction. It is what is expected of them.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think many of us make the same mistake over and over again . As an example : When you state a fact about where JW`s are wrong we allow ourselves to be sidetracked where the JW wants to deflect the question and go off into a different subject and we get caught up in it thinking we have to answer every question .

No, they have to answer the question we put to them in the first place and don`t let up until you get a satisfying answer from them .

And keep pushing this until you do get a satisfying answer with that same question.

Don`t be sidetracked or blindsided with them trying to deflect your questions or query.

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

I would have lost it right there.😡

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit