Giving up carbs = headache

by SpunkyChick 12 Replies latest jw friends

• berten
    berten

Anyone seen the "Horizon" documentary on the Atkins diet?

Check their forum on http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/

The reason it works is because your appetite lessens,so a smaller amount of calories are entering your body...

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I haven't tried any of the low-carb diets, though I've been on a protein-intensive diet for some time to combat migraine. 2 oz of protein at 7 am (grilled chicken or turkey), 2 oz of hard cheese at 10 am, more protein (sandwich) at noon, then a normal diet.

I have neither lost nor gained weight, but have had only 1 migraine in the past four months (used to have 4-5 a month).

This was recommended by my gynecologist, since a headache calendar showed that my migraines were related to hormonal fluctuations.

I remember that when I decaffeinated (1997) and when I cut out the refined sugar (2000), I was pretty much hammered with headache (not to mention being narcoleptic!) for a couple of weeks. Then it passed.

My sympathies--headache can be debilitating for some of us.

Best,

Jankyn

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have been restricting my carbs. I did a strict Atkins for about two months, then added more carbs, and since then have avoided pasta, bread, starch, and refined sugar or corn syrup where I can, but have been pretty liberal about eating fruit and I have been addicted to Just Fruits brand of crunchy freeze dried fruit. I also have about 2 or 3 meals a week where I just totally splurge on carbs. The upshot is that I lost 20 lbs and have kept it off for more than half a year. I don't think I will be able to lose more weight though unless I go back on a strict Atkins diet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit