Giving up carbs = headache

by SpunkyChick 12 Replies latest jw friends

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Any of you try giving up carbs? I have a slamming headache from restricting my carb intake...anyone experience this and when does the headache subside?

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Yes, I've had the same problem with carb reduced diets. You can develop metabolic acidosis, and this can cause headaches. Try doing a more gradual reduction, and not so complete.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes -so I am back eating carbs -- also when I give up coffee - caffeine withdrawal gives me a foul headache

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

ConcernedMama - Thanks so much for the info!

Stillajwexelder - I feel so awful, I might resume carbs tonight! How long were you on the diet? I take it was a persistant headache for a week or so?

• shamus
    shamus

Your blood sugar is low. You need carbs to live a balanced and normal life.

The Atkins diet is only meant for 2 weeks and that's it. It is not healthy for you, nor advisable to stay on it for long periods of time.

Carbs are not junk food. They are absolutley necessary for your continuing health.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am doing the South Beach Diet, which is a more liberal form of Atkins, as I compare the too. No one can totally give up carbs. They are in veggies and other things too, so what we are giving up are "REFINED" carbohydrates.

I get headaches a bit, and I hadn't for months until the past three weeks. I think it is getting a bit dehydrated..................more water...............lots of water. I am very thirsty too, so that helps.

I heard an expert say (on Oprah) Monday that if you are thirsty, you are already in dehydrating mode, and many people eat because their body is thirsty, and it takes liquid from the food you eat, so if you just drink some water, you might lose the hungry feeling. It works for me.

I feel great though, and am sleeping just amazingly well.

• Robdar
    Robdar

When I did the low carb diet, I had head aches and felt all around sick. I increased the carbs, lost the uggy feeling and still lost weight.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess I will take things slowly and first just cut out the sodas and sweets, but not go to bezerk on cutting out all carbs.

• Special K
    Special K

Hi spunky chick.

I had success with the Atkins diet..

But when my friend tried it... She passed out on the 2nd or 3rd day. It definitely wasn't for her.

Take care of yourself, okay. Everyones metabolism is different and the diet your on just may not be for you.

sincerely

Special K

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Did the Atkins diet for two weeks about five years ago.I lost 14 pounds back then,which I have sinced gained back when I went back to my old eating habits.No headaches for me at the time.Still trying to cut back and lose a few pounds.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit