New Massachusetts Bill ProposesTo Fine or Jail Someone For Calling Someone a Bitch!

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

Didnt Paul refer to some one as the son of a bitch?

• minimus
    minimus

The c word is pretty common in Britain but in USA, forget about a fine. A woman will kill you for saying that!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Min - actually the C-word, although common in jokes or memes, is still highly offensive here in the UK.

If someone called someone the C-word in the street, expect a fist fight.

@The Fall Guy - the N-word used to be an ethnic slur. But it's meaning has changed over the decades. According to my grandmother, the N-word used to mean a shade of brown, before it was used as a slur (not sure about that, it's worth checking out).

A large part of this change of meaning is down to black Americans*. They use it in a different context and spell it slightly differently - 'nigga'. It can mean 'idiot' (check out Chris Rock's stand-up routine: there's black people and then there's niggas); it can also mean dude or mate (e.g. what's up my nigga?). I remember the first time I listened to Fiddy Cent's In Da Club - explicit version. He says the N-word more times than an Alabama klansman.

African-Americans also have a certain flow and flair in their way of speaking. In short, African-Americans have made the N-word 'cool'. There is also some comedic potential there, too.

I guess some racist whites still use the word as an ethnic slur, but just as many use the word in the same ways as African-Americans do.

BTW - I don't think words should be outright banned by British or American law. Let the racists say 'nigger'. Surprised? Well, what were they gonna do, sing us a chorus of Ebony and Ivory? XD

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z1FbFocuog

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Mass, NY, NJ, MD, Commiefornia, Oregon, and parts of Washington state are NUTS!!!! Might as well break off from the Union and call themselves New NaziGermany. Ridiculous in their extremism.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Didnt Paul refer to some one as the son of a bitch?

He said 'son of the devil' lol.

I personally don't like to use language like that, but regulating speech like that is not only inconsistent but a slippery slope.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what's next--all "swearing"? And what about foreign language swears, which have false cognates in this language? (Even minor swears such as the German "mist"). And what about words that have a derogatory meaning as one of its minor meanings but are usually used in non-derogatory ways? Such as a common vegetable that is sometimes used as a derogatory word for "Mexican"--what are we going to call those vegetables now? And will the new words also be tagged as bad words?

And does it even stop there? At this rate, the respect portion of Noahide Law is going to be in place in a few short weeks, with beheading as the punishment (that is one of the 7 laws, where you are not allowed to criticize joke-hova or its people or organizations, regardless of whether or not such is valid or even necessary). Are we going to go from this to having you get your head chopped off because you grumble about working endlessly for joke-hova or its people, for no reward? (Along with the other 6 laws.)

Also, there are less offensive ways to use that word. The phrase "son of a b****" is used as a mere expletive. Will you get jail time for that? Then the word is frequently used as a term for complaining. That is usually a bit less offensive. Its proper usage is a female dog. Are all these meanings also going to result in jail time? Or, losing your head because you said something that joke-hova's people or organization could take as offensive?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

How about actually tackling REAL crime?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How about actually tackling REAL crime? - yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner, ladies & gentlemen!

How about law enforcement and politicians tackle real crime.

Dayum, Punk, you got your perspective just right ...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Mass, NY, NJ, MD, Commiefornia, Oregon, and parts of Washington state are NUTS!!!! Might as well break off from the Union

That would likely take an Constitutional Amendment. Do ya think we can we get that on the ballot?

It would sure give the rest of us some "questionable" neighboring "countries".

• tiki
    tiki

Because some woman complained her feelings were hurt.....height of stupidity. I doubt it will get far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit