GB "... it can make mistakes when explaining the Bible ..." Simplified version WT Feb 2017

by freddo 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"Simplified version: "The Governing Body is neither inspired nor perfect. It can make mistakes when explaining the Bible or directing the organization."

So if they made "a mistake" about blood transfusions...you're screwed!

• Listener
    Listener

This statement clearly shows us that it isn't God directing the organisation after all, it is the Governing Body.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This is a confession of blood guilt whether they know it or not.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

They have admitted being fallible before...but only as a cover-up for obvious and chronic interpretive blunders. One JW asked my son; "Do you make mistakes as a college teacher? My son replied in the affirmative. The JW jumped on that and said it is the same with the GB...to which my son replied, "If I was making mistakes on the level of your GB I would be fired for incompetence".

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

They've always said they were not infallible. It's the saying they make mistakes that feels different. The old way was getting clarifications which in fact were complete reversals of previous positions and not "clarifications" at all. But, they never couched it in terms of a "mistake" only a "new understanding".

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if there is a major change coming.

But, the average JW WILL NOT CARE! Seriously, there may be a few that get awakened just like with the last crazy "adjustment" with the generation. But, I'm not sure if at this point, anything they say or do would cause a major fallout. As a matter of fact, I would venture to guess that any major doctrinal adjustment would either 1) go over everyone's head or 2) get people more enthused for a short period.

Cults change things all the time to keep people off balance. And so the GB will continue to make changes big and small and the beat will go on. Eventually this religion will bleed out by a thousand cuts but it will be a slow fade into the dark night and that will take several generations (real ones not their definition).

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

• NikL
    NikL

I feel the way many of you do. Something about this seems different.

Then I got to thinking, look at the mag covers and cover topics in the last few years and compare them with those from say the 80s. ALREADY much has changed it seems to me.

At least in my local cong. it feels like a mellower vibe. The constant referrals to the imminent end of this system is made by the brothers locally in talks etc and not so much by the publications.

Oral (and anal for that matter) sex between a husband and wife is purely their business now when at one time you could get the big DF. (was in the WT study a couple weeks ago)

So yes, I think changes are coming as they've BEEN coming for some time.

It would be interesting to use the sentence "The GB can make mistakes when explaining the Bible"

when defending a point of view differing from the org.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    "The Governing Body is neither inspired nor perfect. It can make mistakes when explaining the Bible or directing the organization." - governing body of jehovah's witnesses

Ironically this leaves open the option for the current governing body to also claim that this statement was a mistake. Circular reasoning from the Scriptures. You just can not make this stuff up.

What about the first century governing body? Did they also make mistakes when explaining the Bible or directing the organization of upstart congregations?

Many of the current teachings, Bible explanations and directions of the current governing body were never mentioned or practiced by the first century governing body. So which governing body made the mistake?

Did the previous modern-day governing body make a mistake in appointing the current members of the governing body? Seems so.

Imagine receiving a newsletter from your private hospital informing you that your hospital doctor or governing board has made mistakes when providing diagnoses or in administering drugs. Would you not be entitled to a full explanation, let alone the removal of all involved until the matter is investigated and sorted out?

The current governing body of jehovah's witnesses are nothing short of a filthy disgusting disgrace. Make no mistake of that.

• prologos
    prologos
    jwl: "--Many of the current teachings, Bible explanations and directions of the current governing body were never mentioned or practiced by the first century governing body. So which governing body made the mistake?

The apostles, the elders in Jerusalem, were in a different class then the brooklyn-. wallkill/ warwick ed 7. Only the latter day [saints] anointed are the true F&DS. so, don't be surprised at flights of fancy that do not add up to truth.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I wonder if the GB 2.0 and their "Helpers" have a boner for a new Revelation Book?? I mean... "God" knows the last one was one big mistake, a compilation of blunders by the WTBTS non-inspired "prophet-like" leaders.

Admitting that "mistakes" are made by the GB could make it even easier to throw out past doctrines. They've already shit-canned almost all of CTR's mad ramblings. What's to stop them from phasing out Boozerford's idiotic rantings, or Knorr's, or Mad Freddy's prognostications??

"Well, as it turns out, Jesus evidently meant... [ BLANK ] Therefore, it seems that... [ BLAH-BLAH... ] How wonderful that Jehovah's people are humble, ready to be refined as often as JEHOVAH requires it! Seeing as we are so close to the END, loyalty is more important than who taught what, or what needed refining." - GB of the WTBTS

DD 😵

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    stuckinarut2 - "...they expect witnesses to 'preach' something that can very well turn out to be incorrect..."

Which is all fine and dandy...

...as long as no one gets hurt.

But when said incorrect teaching does get people hurt (or worse, dead), it's a whole different ball of wax.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit