GB "... it can make mistakes when explaining the Bible ..." Simplified version WT Feb 2017

by freddo 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stavro
    stavro

Standard version: "The Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible. Therefore, it can err in doctrinal matters or in organizational direction."

Simplified version: "The Governing Body is neither inspired nor perfect. It can make mistakes when explaining the Bible or directing the organization."

They are admitting that potentially, they could have misinterpreted the scriptural cocktail they use in their attempt to prove they were appointed by God in 1919. Could it be they are actually just self appointed?

Where does wrong interpretation end and correct interpretation begin? As they admit they are not inspired by holy spirit, how can anyone truly know?

• George One Time
    George One Time

The dutch translation also makes it clear: The GB does not receive godly revelations and is not infallible.

Het Besturende Lichaam krijgt geen goddelijke openbaringen en is ook niet onfeilbaar.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

Their greatest error of judgement was awarding THEMSELVES their own defined title of faithful and discreet slave, and their version of the authority which that title gives them. The admission that they are not inspired and are capable off error of judgement which in turn must imply capable of error in future judgement should not bar ANYONE from questioning their judgement, which if NOT inspired should be held to scrutiny without consequence . Any action against persons questioning their authority /reasoning resulting in some form of sanction is therefore unjustifiable as said persons are subject to the very same conditions of non inspirational judgement /reasoning whether in error or correct. They (the jw hierarchy ) have by way of their own published statements have no authority over anyone .

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

On the basis that they are laying the ground here for some significant backtracking or change of direction they will be ready to say ala 1975, it's your fault we were wrong, we have said we are not infallible, but you believed us!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Know what's really f**ked up?

I can still imagine some rank-and-filer publicly quoting that phrase word-for-word, getting his sorry ass hauled into a JC, and being DFed for apostasy.

• Ding
    Ding

A good follow-up question to ask JWs is: "If the Governing Body is wrong about a doctrinal or organizational matter, how would you ever know it?"

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"If the Governing Body is wrong about a doctrinal or organizational matter, how would you ever know it?"

Eldub: We would recieve an "adjusted understanding."

Me: So, I should go D2D and preach as "truth", something that may very well be wrong?

Eldub: Yes!

Me: What if I know it's wrong, but it hasn't been "adjusted" yet? ( Yes, I made quotation marks with my fingers..😈) Should I go D2D and tell a householder something that is not true.

Eldub: YES!!

Me: Ok..

True story.... This Eldub is an RC overseer. Religitards are religitarded. You cannot open their minds. You cannot reason with them. It's not that they are all unintelligent, but they are delusional. They live in a "reality" based on myths and factoids.

Let me tell you something....they will violently defend that "reality." If they could legally kill us, they would.

DD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said DD!

The fact that they expect witnesses to "preach" something that can very well turn out to be incorrect, is one of the most disturbing things ever!

And they say "this is NOT a cult!"

• prologos
    prologos
    Well said DD!
    The fact that they expect witnesses to "preach" something that can very well turn out to be incorrect, is one of the most disturbing things ever!

I happened to me with the "superior Authorities" at a bible study.(let god be true) I had made a brilliant defense of the untenable, already changed proposition, S.O. = J&J. so:--wt will never make a fool of me again. they are the fools fooling around with doctrine fit for the latrine.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Again I think these statements are made every so often to relieve themselves of responsibility if one of thier cult members ends up dead and someone sues them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit