Sleepless Nights..

by Sassy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

I used to go on the computer and play a mindless game.. It usually worked. Sometimes though I wake up and my boyfriend is already awake and on the computer (waaah!) of couse sometimes I do haul him back to bed for a little physical activity to use up our energy and so I can sleep.. sometimes it helps.. but sometimes it doesn't.

Not sure what is keeping me up lately.. maybe a little stress..

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I've been an insomniac/night owl since I was born. It's a curse and causes lots of problems in my marriage. I have an obsession and can't find an answer to questions that keep going through my mind. I fall asleep at 7 p.m, then get a second wind at 12 p.m. and am up mostly the whole night. By 4 a.m., again, I'm tired and sleep til 9. I am lucky I don't have a job outside the house, cuz I would be fired. Really, I did have a job for 20 years that I went to, unfailingly, on time and ready for work. Now that I've gotten older (43), I just give in to whatever my body needs. Unfortunately, it does NOT need a lot of sleep. I wonder if I don't go to sleep too much BECAUSE I have nightmares and my body/mind is scared because of what it will see in its dreams. I don't know. I am fortunate that I have the situation to sleep in, because if I didn't I'd probably be out on the streets.

I've always been hyperactive, but it's gotten particularly worse as I've gotten older. I still have the desire there, the ENERGY is not there, though. I'm always physically and mentally tired, but my body doesn't give up. I always have to know the news going on.. and I can't sleep cuz I think I'm missing something. Mabe that's another obsession. I think it stems from thinking when I was younger and a JW that if I went to sleep that I would miss Armagheddon and I would die. I wanted to BE THERE for my death. I dunno.. stupid.

However, it's caused a lot of problems in my marriage. He's a sleeper, I'm not. He's gotten USED TO sleeping with the television news on all night.. really LOUD because I'm half deaf with the fan going. I smoke, he doesn't. I smoke at night.. so this poor man is subjected to loud news all night and smoke... I am a terrible wife, I guess. But if I don't have complete freedom at night, waking up and seeing some news or something on television, I think that the dark is gonna get me.

CG

CG

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    You could take Melatonin.

Works for me, and you don't feel groggy in the morning.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Turn on CSPAN and watch a few committee meetings.. guaranteed to put you back to sleep!

carm

• staceman
    staceman

Yes, do the Melatonin!! It works Great with no side affects whatsoever!! And you don't need a prescription! Just go to your local Herb and Vitamin store at the mall and they'll have it for about 5 bucks a bottle. I think it comes in 1 and 3 Mg. They have worked wonders for me as I too was waking up at about 2:15 every morning for no apparent reason. Oh it sucked...

And I can't believe that no one has jumped all over simplesally's comment!! But let me be the first!! I can help you out Sally!!

In fact the wife and I both would love to help you out, but that's another thread...

Staceman....

• alias
    alias

If I really need the sleep (like for work the next day), I'll take a hot shower with a dim light on and go back into bed. If I still can't sleep, I'll turn on the radio to some classical station and just become one with the music.

That usually helps. Otherwise I'll get up and engage myself into something until I'm ready to drop off.

alias

• codeblue
    codeblue

Sassy:

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with sleep!!!

I can sympathize with your problem, have had it since 1997. My ex left me that year, and I HAD to get up and go to work and really needed to be able to sleep and sleep all night. My Dr. prescribed Ativan (I took 1, 1 hour before bedtime) It worked so well...that I ended up taking it 3 years......NOT suppose to....since it is in the Valium family.

I got off of the Ativan by taking Amitriptyline, which is a anti-depressant that is prescribed for people with sleeping problems. It got me off the Ativan but I didn't like one of the side affects...pm. me if you want to know what it was.

Then a gal at work recommended Melatonin: worked ok, but I had to take 3 at least an hour before bedtime. And YES, I found a side affect that may NOT bother you but it was CRAZY NIGHTMARES...wow...that's all I can say.

Now I take 2 benadryls (they help my allergies too) and also 400 mg of magnesium and hour before bedtime.. Magnesium helps you to sleep.

Hope my suggestions can be of some assistance....Have you been to a Dr. for this problem? Underlying problems can determine why you have a sleeping disorder, some are medical. Depression is a huge cause for a lot of sleepless nights.

Take care,

Codeblue

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Sassy,

I had trouble for 20 some years. And the closer I got to menopause, the worse it got.

I've eliminated ALL caffeine and don't have protein at dinner (it can raise your metabolism). No multi-vitamins before bed. I tried the herbal remedies, but didn't have results.

Ambien made me sleepwalk and even cook (almost started a fire!). Restoril made me break down in tears twice at work. Couldn't take either of these either.

Finally for the past 3-4 years I've taken .5 mg of Ativan and it does the trick every single night. IF I've been very careful about what I eat and drink.

Pat

• Carmel
    Carmel

Read the Watchtower and sleep will instantly rescue you!!

caveman

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

MMMMMMMMM I love to be woke up that way baby!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit