Sleepless Nights..

by Sassy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

Don't you just hate them. I seem to have a horrible habit lately of waking up at some ungodly hour (I can say that now right?).. and then I can't fall back asleep.. I'm amazed how well I actually function the next day sometimes..

So what do you do when you know you need some sleep but can't?

************ yawn..

~SASSY~

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

smoke hash and read alot.

I am currently oncall for the first time in 3 years and Mrs SLH is particularly ill. I've slept a grand total of 13 hours in 4 days and am rapidly developing a caffiene fetish

• Maverick
    Maverick

Make that booty call. A real friend will help you out like that...I know I would! Maverick

• obiwan
    obiwan

Roll over and wake up my honey!!

• dh
    dh

story of my life sassy, as a kid i used to wake up around 3am every day, kill 6 hours before school and then have a run though to 10pm when we got home from meetings or after family study, used to say i would fall asleep standing up i was so exhausted by the time the sun went down, basically my body's clock was never in time with regular hours.

so far i still haven't got any remedy for it, as a kid playing with lego killed the time in the early hours, as an adult it was other creative stuff, if i'm not alone then it's easier, but sleep issues can annoy the hell out of parners, especially those who think bed's are for sleeping in. i still struggle to sleep past 6am most days and on a whole am pretty hyper in the mornings, there's no phase of waking up, it's like i just snap from asleep to awake, then i cannot sleep at all, and usually i can get more done between 6-11am than the whole rest of the day, and come 6pm i am starting to feel tired, by 10 i am shattered, and if i don't sleep before 12, i won't sleep at all that night and will pass out sometime the next evening.

sleep is funny, your body shuts down when it needs to, and if your mind lets it, it's a careful balance, i think if you wake up when you think you should be sleeping, it's best to try to use the extra energy for something positive or creative, or something you wouldn't normally do in day to day life, it helps, because there's nothing worse than wasting away staring at the wall.

hope this post wasn't too boring!

dh'

• El blanko
    El blanko

First up - DONT smoke/use HASH for sleep. I did that for months and eventually my body felt like a washed out heap of flesh. Not a great idea.

My advice - use Valerian extract in liquid form. Take 1 hour before bedtime and keep it going. It should help you greatly.

Also, if you do have faith still, use prayer.

There are many useful resources around the internet with good advice.

As a side note. I wake up at an early hour as well and usually drop back off to sleep after half an hour. I get up, make a cup of herbal tea and return to bed. I always keep a book by my bed to pick up and read briefly.

• yxl1
    yxl1
    smoke hash and read alot.

You might fall asleep (more likely pass out) but you'll feel like sh1t in the morning. I should know, I've been doing it EVERY night for the last 15 years and just quit last weekend.

Now I find hot milk and a shag is the best cure. (but obviously not at the same time)

yxl1

• simplesally
    simplesally

You could take Melatonin. Its an herbal sleep inducer.

I wake up around 3am every night, look at the clock, get up and get diet 7-up with ice, crawl back to bed and go to sleep. I think because of my little one, I wake when she coughs, breathes funny or has a tossy turny night........... I am just used to having to check on her.

It'd be much more fun to cure my sleeplessness with a companion!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

It depends on 'why' you are waking up at 3am.

Is it 'worries'?? that are waking you up - and do not allow you to go back to sleep?

One technique is to just try to lie there and relax - clearing the mind of any/all thoughts. The sleep will be 'light', but it will suffice enough to get you through the day.

A technique that I 'developed' - personally - and may or may not work with everyone, is to take a light 15 or 20 minute nap at lunchtime. I will eat a light lunch, and then nod off for a few minutes.

I had gotten it down pretty good - so that I could 'recharge' my body enough to get me through the rest of the day. You may try that, or a variation of that.

Good Luck,

Jim_TX

• Special K
    Special K

A lot of times, if I can't sleep, I get up and watch T.V. for awhile... make a hot herbal tea..and after about an hour go back to bed..

sometimes I get up and write down what has been bothering me lately. When done, I then tear the paper up into little threads and put it in the garbage.... and that works really well.

sincerely

Special K .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit