What Caused Your First Doubt ?

by Big Jim 46 Replies latest jw friends

• neyank
    neyank

That's an easy question to answer.
    The different changes in their teachings.

If God is behind any orginization,there wouldn't be any need to change the teachings.
    After all, God is perfect so therefore the instuction He would give would be perfect.
    There wouldn't be any reason to change the teachings unless they came from
    imperfect men.

neyank

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

JT, man, I genuinely love you! Wish I had a tenth the common sense and decency you display. It amazes me how fast and how clean you deTowered.

They lost a good man when your eyes opened up James. Enjoy your freedom. You deserve it richly.

"little short Charlie Horse"... I had a coffee-out-the-nose LOL over THAT one my friend!

• jwsons
    jwsons

As for me. First doubt came up when I read Watchtower 1964(?), where Society has an article about Christadelphian group with the introduction is: "They don't believe in Trinity. They don't believe in hellfire. They don't believe in the immortal soul. They don't involve to wars. Who are they? They are not Jehovah's Witnesses, they're Christadelphian...." So I asked myself: "Why should I become a JW, especially when I 've known the Society did involve in sharing prayers for one side in World War I?" Then I start research on material (Publications of WTBTS) with more consideration. Working at a Branch, I found out 2 different versions of the book "Is this Life all there is ?" with a half of a chapter totally different in two versions in same English edition. I did question Brooklyn about it, no one answer and the topic is dropped. However,my local CO had a different behavior to me, I didn't know why (that time I still believe in the love from our "authority brothers"). Then the topic "LIE" in AID book allows Society to lie in some circumstances adds more doubts. The breaking point is the flip-flop doctrine about people in Sodom ressurected or not (again two different versions of Live forever" red-book (this time has 'revised' at the front page, better than the 'is' book). I totally stopped meeting when read all the books of Raymond Franz (former governing body member--titles: "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom") At first I fear of telling my wife about things I found (she may report to PO, look back, I can not even trust my wife, WE DID LIVE IN a CULT, What Else ?). Happily, day by day, drop by drop of fresh water from the truth, I persuade my wife to read what I found. She is now free, too/ Thank Jehovah for helping me in this. I make friend with H2O and know more how Society is NOT a Non-Profit Organization, how they avoid tax (while ask brothers and sisters pay tax to governments), how they own shares in a company making bombs etc...
    I should tell all of you more, but I will do so in a book. I just want to say : Now I love Jehovah more than ever and feel pity for our old brothers and sisters who spending hours on the street in winter time to collect money for a group of greedy devils in Brooklyn. I still loving them, and only hope one day they will open their eyes to see what I did see.
    jwsons

• Jendigo
    Jendigo

For me, my first doubt was caused by something so simple... I brought a friend with me to a Sunday "special talk", supposing it would induce her into coming to the meetings regularly with me. Afterwards, I asked her opinion on what she heard.. and she said the message of FEAR came across more strongly than anything else. I did have to agree with her. After all, aren't most of us attracted to love rather than fear?

Once this one simple thing was brought to the attention of my brainwashed mind, I doubted EVERYTHING... (one imperfection in this allegedly PERFECT structure was enough to make me doubt it ALL). It was at this time I ceased going to meetings and began my own research. This was the last sermon I ever subjected my ears to.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

WElcome to the forum, Jendigo! :-) Everyone, I want you to meet my eldest daughter of whom I'm very proud!

RCat

• proplog2
    proplog2

When I found out that Wooly Mammoths had tundra grasses in their stomachs and were always found frozen in creeks. That combined with ice cores in Greenland that go back 100,000 years. Clearly there was no world wide flood. Jesus, by speaking of the flood showed that he was bamboozled by the same myth. Cards continued to fall from that point on.

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

I agree with "I AM XJW".

It was the blood issue that started me thinking. My daughter was born nearly 3 years ago with a heart/lung defect caused by chromosome deficiency. Since that point our lives have been intertwined with hospital visits/tests/ and preparation for open heart surgery, so the blood issue came up.

The Society, back in 1950, stated that "abstaining from blood" means just that - no blood, at all.

But then in 1980, if your conscience allowed, you could have bone marrow transplant (even though red blood cells would be part of that transplant as they are in the marrow??). That is contradicting their statement back in the 1950's.

They also then stated that you could have immuno globulin (which had previously been banned back in the 1920's).

Haemophiliacs could now receive transfusions.

They have been changing their minds about this issue all the way along the line. What is banned one week, could be perfectly acceptable the next. But PEOPLE WILL HAVE DIED because of following their rules, when if a particular crisis had happened a few months/weeks later, they could have survived because the prescribed treatment would then be deemed "ok".

When my daughter finally underwent open heart surgery, we respectfully requested that the surgeon not use blood, but if it gets to a point where he has to use blood, to go ahead, he would have no problems/resistance from us.

Anyway, under UK law, a hospital can make a child a ward of court if they feel that the child's life is under threat, and can give the child a transfusion anyway. (The parent's working relationship with the medical team is then shot to pieces)

I then started asking myself "What if that was me, and I needed a blood transfusion. What would I do??" I had to admit to myself that although a blood transfusion wouldn't be desirable because of the risks that blood carries, if there was no other alternative and my life was in the balance, I would accept it. AND I WOULD NOT FEEL GULITY FOR DOING SO.

I could not then go out in the ministry and make a stand on the blood issue, or explain to people why JW don't accept them, because I believe that what the society teach is from their own heads, and nothing to do with God.

If that was the case, what about the other teachings?? After doing research and reading posts on this board, it became evident that the Society is not trustworthy, they change their minds as they please, and do not admit to making mistakes.

I could not live that way any longer, and I could not allow my daughter to be brought up in that kind of environment.

THEREFORE I QUIT!! and I am enjoying my life - I am planning Christmas already and it is only June!!

Enlighted UK

Enjoy your life, it is the only one you'll have

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit