Alexander Hislop Two Babylons

by pc 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pc
    pc

I read the post about Vine and was wondering if anyone has more information on Hislop. My family always quoted his book Two Babylons in regard to the cross and other so called pagan origins. Late this fall I started to research his book and found the inconsistencies with it. I have found Ralph Woodrow and Dustin Segers who have written in regard to the book and stated it's slanted views. Anyone have other info for me? pc

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have a copy of Hislops The Two Babylons - yes there are inconsistencies and biases (especially toward the Roman Catholic Church) but it was written quite a long time ago and has never been updated -- there was only ever 1 edition I think -- i will read again and do some research and try to let you know.

• jwsons
    jwsons

There is another book call "Babylon Mystery Religion" by Ralph Edward Woodraw (1966, 1992 ISBN 0-916938-00-x) also avilable in Spanish (Babilonia Misterio Religioso) printed in California, almost a condensed version of "The Two Babylons." Is it the one pc mentions about ?

jwsons

• simplesally
    simplesally

The Two Babylons pretty much thought that Babylon the Great was the Catholic church, not 'false religion' in general.

• pc
    pc

I'm trying to find information in regard to disputing the book. A few months ago my dad showed me this book and said "even non Jehovah Witnesses know that the cross is from pagan worship". I said "who is this guy Hislop anyway, what are his credentials"? So I went on line and tried to find some info. I came across someone who said he was at one time a follower of Hislops beliefs and then found out he basically left out certain information to help his points. I was brand new to this so did not book mark it. I have since found this website and thought maybe someone could lead me in the right direction. Thanks pc

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's quite odd isn't it how the WTS quotes a book written by someone from Babylon the Great to prove who Babylon the Great is, yet the book was written to show how the author's religion was not part of Babylon the Great.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have the book. I haven't read it in ages. From what I recall, it is a very old book. It has very archaic notions about Babylonia based not on the firsthand evidence of cunieform texts and archaeological finds but from unreliable secondhand information from classical sources like Herodotus. It also gives some very questionable etymologies of names and words.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

The book is 150 years old. I don't think that any contemporary scholar would try to defend the its arguments. Even the Society hasn't cited it since 1986 (g86 3/22 6) and they let it go out of print in '87 (km 11/87 3). I think your family needs to catch up with the new light, pc.

Here's a critique of the book: http://users.clarkston.com./rcorson/2babylons.htm I'm sure you can find others on Google.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hey that was a great link. I enjoyed reading it.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The book "Babylonian Mystery Religion," based on "The Two Babylons," was repudiated by its own author. Some of the reviews on amazon.com are interesting to read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit